Using Google calendar/texts to aid with reality checks

Hello everyone,

Introduction (Skip if you want to get to the good stuff):
Since this is my first post on LD4all I figure I’ll introduce myself. My name is Jon and I am currently a student in Sweden, but I am from the states. I gained an interest in lucid dreaming after recounting to a friend how much I loved the movie “Science of Sleep.” I was able to have an insane lucid dream the second night in which I could actually hear noises from the real world and understand what they were in my dream. Since then I haven’t been able to gain the same level of lucidity. Which brings me to the present. I have in the last few weeks begun to incorporate finger counting reality check in my daily life. One of the issues I ran into was simply remembering to do the RCs frequently. Which finally leads me to something that might be of interest to anyone who is trying to find tools to aid in lucid dreaming.

The Google Calendar/Text Message Tip:
I don’t know if anyone else has posted about this yet so forgive me if I am repeating information.

Google Calendar has a really cool feature that allows you to have text messages sent as reminders for events in your calendar. When I saw this feature I decided to set it up to remind me 4 times a day to do a reality check. I set it up in a separate “sub” calendar that could be hidden so it didn’t clutter my main view. For someone who always has their phone on them, this technique has already lead to another lucid dream in only a few days. I’ll report back if I have any more success with it.

Hopefully this is of some use to people, I certainly wish I would have found out about it sooner. Thank you Google for being awesome and free :happy:

Kind regards and good luck,

Jon

Welcome Jon! :content: You could go at the Big Hi topic for a formal presentation ^^

About your idea, I’ve seen people experiment with that, and it doesn’t work that much. The fact is, you should train yourself to be aware, more than just doing RC’s, and if you get reminded to do a RC by an alarm,you have no incentive to actually stay conscious and look for dreamsigns in order to RC. Plus such alarms don’t often appear in dreams :tongue: so you’re out of luck.
I’d suggest instead to be actively looking for dreamsigns, and try and ask yourself during the day where you actually are, question yourself if it is really a dream or not, try and remember what you were doing, thinking, saying during the last minutes. It’s great awareness practice :content:

Good luck on your Quest! ^^

Welcome to ld4all :wave:

Although I do agree with Tosxychor, I still think it can be used IF you have terrible problems in remembering to do RC’s (like me :lol:) You can, maybe, use this to start out. After a while you might start expecting a message and you’ll stop needing them. You’ll start feeling it’s time for a RC! Even when I try to RC more I simply don’t remember throughout the day… :sad:

If you can remember on your own though, that should be even better.

And focus on the awareness part, not on the simple RC gesture, as tosxychor said. The awareness and critically avaluating your environment is the most important part of a RC.

Good luck! :happy:

Thanks for the information guys, it’s nice to hear from more experienced dreamers! In the last day or so I have been trying to focus on the concept of reality rather than the RCs as per your recommendations.

The community here seems really awesome; makes me wish I would have plugged in to this site on my first go at lucid dreaming!

Regards,
Jon