Using REM periods

I’d like to know when people’s REM periods are (the times when you are dreaming), and how they have used devices that go off at this time to aid lucidity. I have a period between 4.5 and 5 hours after I fall asleep (I found that out because the fire alarm went off at the University I’m staying at when I was dreaming, which woke me up and I checked the time).

Here are some websites that are to do with REM sleeping.
But firstly, the graph:

And now the sites:
https://www.nyu.edu/classes/azmitia/lectures/lecture15/
https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/sleep.html

I’m not a professional on such devices as the NovaDreamer and other dream devices.

nice chart and info! :happy: I’ve been looking for this too, and now I can make a few adjustments to my WBTB schedule. My question though, is it better to wake up during REM for WBTB? I’m guessing so since around 6 hours, its nearly constant REM and light sleep. Well this might help because I’ve been waking up during deep sleep because I was doing WBTB too early. I didn’t think it mattered, but some tactical rescheduling should do the trick :wink:

Yes, but I’m sure evryone has a unique REM periods, which changes with age.

for WBTB WILD uhm they say the later the better, but in terms of REM-NREM I’m not exactly sure. For me when I wake up exhausted for WBTB that is not so good, if that means it was NREM then waking from REM has some advantages with being not so exhausted and more clear minded.

Only thing that changes with age is a duration of REM.It goes slowly shorter and shoter.But you dont need to worry about it till you 40-50.And even then i doubt they would get noticably shorter.

yeah but by that time u can take a slightly smnall amount of melatonin and all is back as in your youth :smile:

Scientists in France did experiment with old ppl above 70 years and they found out already 0.3 mg melatonin restored normal sleep paterns.
so i would say 0.5 mg surely is enough for normal sleep at any age.

Jeff