What Book Are You Reading? — Part III

I’ve finished Koji Suzuki’s Loop (3 book in “the Ring”-series), it was an intelligent book taking up the same questions as The Matrix (originally relished 2 years prior to Matrix), but made the ‘a computer generated world’-ting seem more believable.

Currently I am at the end of Diana Wynne Jones’ Castle In the Air.

I’m reading the first Harry Potter book. :wink:
I probably should have read that when I was 11…but I guess it’s never too late to read children’s books.

A couple questions about this one. What is the best translation you know of? What are the books in this series?

I’ve started that too, and the start…sounds like stuff from a NDE (all that talk about singing, creating a world on a whim, beautiful, knowledgeable, powerful beings who live in heaven totally falling in love with a hellish physical plane and willing to become ugly, weak, and stupid just to experience it, etc).

Anyone else notice the similarity?

Good choice! IT is a very good book!

I’m reading “Eldest” by Christopher Paolini. Nothing like some good ol’ fantasy.

Loop?

I only know abut the English translation by Glynne Walley (realized in US by Vertical Inc. and in UK by Harper Collins).
The rest of the series is made up by Ring, Sprial and Birthday.

Ring (the translation for this one was kind of lifeless) and Spiral is set prior to Loop and there plot has a more mystery/triller feel then Loop and… …acts inside the computer simulated world without the characters knowing so.
Ring has 8 adaptions (2 TV series, a loosely based film, an American remake of the film, a Korean remake of the film, 2 mangas & a radio-drama) and Spiral has 3 adaptions (a manga, a film & a radio-drama).

Birthday (not yet relished in English, so I haven’t read it myself) is a collection of 3 stories: “Coffin that Floats Up to the Sky” (set during Spiral), “Lemonheart” (a prequel to the books) & “Happy Birthday” (A continuation of Loop).
Birthday has been adapted into a manga excluding “Happy Birthday”.
And Lemonheart alone has been loosely adapted into a film and a movie-tie-in manga.

You don’t have to had read Ring and Spiral to read Loop, but I recommend it.
Also the books are the best versions of the series IMO.

A few days ago I went out and got Slaughterhouse Five (which I’ve been meaning to read forever). I also got The Brothers Karamazov, which is turning out to be good, but like someone else mentioned, 900-something pages. It’ll be a while, but I’m glad, it makes the book for an adventure that stays with you for a while. Like a period of your life. :smile:

I have been reading Les Misérables for a while now.
The unabridged version is quite the read.
For school I am reading The God of Small Things, which I don’t enjoy as much.

I’m reading the book, The Giver.

Hamlet by Shakespeare

Bestest play evar.

:happy:

:hyper:

That is one of the most profound, beautiful things I’ve ever read! It’s so good to know you’re reading it! :content: Good luck with it, not only is it big, it’ll take a while before you can actually say you’re reading it fluently, so to speak, it’s a tough tough read the darn thing. Tell me when you read the tale of the Grand Inquisitor. It was the first thing I read from the Brothers Karamazov, and what made me buy the whole book and read it (I remember being surprised the book wasn’t a “book of short stories”, and that the Grand Inquisitor was one of the only tales in the whole book).

Bleh, I have to read about 50 pages/week in each of my engineering textbooks(I have 3). Most of the time the topics are interesting and I absorb the information quickly, but this week’s chapter in Digital Fun. was so bloody boring that I found myself just dragging through each page, actually looking forward to doing the chapter problems(just to break up the monotony). Oh well, at least it’s behind me now, I can finally move on to the other books(oh joy!! :meh: ).

Currently reading the Silmarillion again, by Tolkien.
I like this book much more than The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, because the story has just more interesting aspects for me and it takes place in such a vast world.

Tell me how both of those turn out. I’m sitting with a copy of The Brothers K right above me, but I abandoned it because I need to focus on schoolwork now…

Picked up EWLD again. I can’t say that I care much for LaBerge’s writing style… he strikes me as arrogant, but there’s always something for a lucid dreamer to learn in that book. :wink:

I just got a new book for my class today.
One of the 12 or so we read over the semester.
It is called “Mythology” by Edith Hamilton.
I am looking forward to this book, it seems to be a good one.

Have you noticed that the way that Iain Banks writes is very dreamlike? His descriptions of surroundings are like dreamlandscapes: immense and bizarre.
When I searched the internet on ‘Iain Banks’ and ‘LD’ I wasn’t disappointed to find this quote of his: "Most of my dreams are lucid, and have been since I was a very small child " (see https://www.literaturefestival.co.uk/2004/banks.html)
Isn’t that amazing? Here’s a man who’s entire body of work is heavily influenced by LDreaming!
You should read his book ‘The Bridge’, which is about a guy’s continuous dreaming while in a coma…

finished Sister of my Heart, which was reading for school, but i fell in love with the book instantly.

If you like big adventures and stuff it’s not the book for you, it’s just a book about life, but it’s fantastic, and (i won’t give anything away), just when i thought i couldn’t be more pleased, [spoiler] The twist at the end was so awesome, a real shocker :razz: (ps: thought this required spoiler tags so that it doesn’t tempt people to just read the end, they wouldn’t understand the twist anyway!)[/spoiler]

Not reading anything at the moment, but I just finished Eclipse, third book in the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Love those books!!! :content:

I also recently finished reading a book called My Sister’s Keeper…it was really good but so sad! I cried at the end… :cry:

“Secrets of Sleep” I just picked it up today and hopefully it’ll be interesting and will help me with my projects.

I just started The Odyssey today.
I am also working on Les Mis (still) and EWLD.
discussion continues in part IV here