Are these OOBE

back in the days where I was heavy into ld. (I’m in the process of getting back into it) When I used WILD I always had that loud rushing sound and it felt like my body had electricity going through it then I would feel my legs float away. I mentioned this in another post and ppl said it could be astrial projection(which I’m not to familer with) or OOBE. There were times when I did completely fly out of my body I think but my surrondings were completely dreamlike. I would think during an OOBE everything would look the same because you are not dreaming but traviling outside your body. When I have left my body or dreamt that I did my surrondings were very dreamlike and distorted. The enviorment was deffinetly different. Does anyone know what that loud rushing sound and the vibrations are. It intrigues me that other ppl have them to. well I’m going to ld tonight and i will post about it tommorow. If my post sound weird that is bc I am typing it at one in the morning.

Hi Matt-20,

Those are not really OBE’s in my definition, since they are dream related events. So indeed, everything around you during such an experience is dreamed up and most often distorted. The rushing sounds and vibrations are part of your body going deeper into sleep (trance), and is also very often reported by lucid dreamers. So, your post doesnt sound too weird to me after all :happy:

I replied to your question about wooshing sounds in your other thread.
[url]loud wooshing sound]
I don’t think they are the sign of an OOBE because many LD’ers report them while WILD’ing.

Now what about the difference between a LD and an OOBE? You can find some information in these topics:

Do you think OBE’s are LD’s?
My opinion on OBE’s
Article on OBE and NDE
Astral projection - Just another form of lucid dreaming?
The BIG OBE topic
For all that think OBEs are real part II
My first OBE last night…This is not lucid dreaming.

BTW, I never found any great difference between the descriptions of OBE’s and LD’s. It seems that this difference appeared mainly when LD’ing became more “democratic” and “astral projecters” were first confronted to questions like “Hmmm… Don’t you think OBE’s are lucid dreams?” Before this date, we can read for instance in Muldoon’s book about “astral projection”: “Astral is the realm of dreams”. Thus it seems that even famous OBE’ists didn’t see any difference. :tongue:

I’d agree with Basilus on this one. There have been many occasions where I have lucidly got up from my bed and explored my house but I know I have always been lucid dreaming. If the state of truly being out of body exists, I have not yet experienced it, but I keep an open mind and would love it to happen. The rushing sounds and vibrations are just typical manifestations of sleep paralysis and they can provide a springboard into lucidity (or OBE as some people believe), but you know this already.

The rushing sounds and the vibrations “electric feeling” is very common with WILD. It is usually associated with the onset of the sleep paralysis state. I believe that wild and oobes are the same state and that both are all in your own mind.

When you have a high level WILD, then your surroundings might look the same, but that does not mean it is not in your mind.
Lucid dreams can be very realistic.