Different styles of flying

Yes, in a lucid dream believing in actually doing…

I normally fly like superman but with my hands next to my body, one of the greatest feelings… Once I had wings too but the dream wasn’t anything special because of low vividness…

Good job on breaking boundaries… Sometimes the easiest way is the best way, keep that in mind :content:

I often do a running jump, and once I lift off, I frog swim to get higher. Once I’m comfortable in the air I just soar around using my arms to propel me and then secure them to my sides for speed.

I had a really cool LD not too long ago where I was trying to teach my friends how to fly and lift off. It was pretty cool cause I was having them follow me in different patterns around things, one of which where I started at the base of a skyscraper and circled the whole building as fast as I could in a spiral to the top :smile:

Had a cool WILD/OBE I posted in my DJ yesterday morning…managed to launch off a porch railing and then used the “thought” propelled flying technique someone mentioned before here (thanks for that! :wink: ) Worked beautifully! Once I got up high in the air and cruising at a nice speed, I did a barrel roll like a jet and flew upside down, head first just beneath a bank of rippling clouds. Very cool effect…just like skimming along the waves of some body of water at high speed, but instead of waves, its lumps of clouds whipping by. Felt fantastic! :content: :tongue:

In my first ever lucid dream which was like weeks ago, I slowly lift my arms in the air, as if i was lifting myself, and I actually levitated. I tried using my mind only to fly and it launched me like crazy. It’s actually quite fun when you get used to it)

Had a similar quasi-flying endeavor with a group dreaming friends as well. Actually, it was kind of like flying slash speed-climbing. Was with group of friends in the redwoods in northern CA and we were racing to the top of a grove of giants. Instead of grabbing onto the bark, I would insert my hands deep inside the wood and grab onto something within…very ephemeral feel of grabbing onto something soft and airy in the heart of the wood and using that to launch myself upward at incredible speed. Great fun! :happy:

I want to do about the same just in water! (I’ve done it when I was younger but that wasn’t a lucid) Acrobatics in water can be really cool :happy:

i tried flying last night, just spreading my arms and jumping, work kinda good, then i did the “superman” and that was much easier.

but i had a problem, once i tried lower my height , aiming for the ground, i couldn’t gain altitude again, any particular reason?

I usually super jump to take off then I’m out of control

My favourite method of flying is the superman. I just clinch my fist, stretch my arm and FLY!!!

When I fly, I’m not like superman. Most times I basically just float like astronauts. I push myself away from walls and stuff to move and glide down on stairs. With this I’m also capable of really big jumps which are totally fun for me. I actually prefer this over the superman type of flying. I find it more entertaining and it does not take over the dream since I do other stuff, I just move myself this way.

in my first ld tonight i just jumped of a balcony and didnt really need any thought of what to do i just moved freely throught the air, dont know if there is a name for that, probably just call it: peter pan

I have been working on techniques for achieving faster flight in my lucid dreams and I have found one that works great for me. Maybe it will work for other as well.

Rather than trying to move yourself over the landscape, focus on moving the landscape underneath yourself. It seems to work really well!

Try it out!

Merged from a topic in General Lucidness. :dragon:

Nice I’ll give it a try. Have you tried swimming through the air or jumping from a high place then swooping down then back up in a U shape for take off? Its pretty fun.

Yeah, I have done my fair share of air swimming hehehe :wink: I love the U shape swooping! It’s so much fun. One time I did it from the top of a mountain all the way to the bottom. Amazing!

Talking about air swimming, I though I could try swimming with the “butterfly” stroke. SInce I suck at it in real life, I might be able to improve it by practicing it in a LD.

The only problem is my LDs are on and off kinda thing. I’ve had I few before, but I’m trying to get back into it.

I will try all of these!!! MWAHAHAHA!
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/List … _of_Flight

You can also try to push a button that says, NO GRAVITY then you can jump around and float in the air as much as you want.

:om: Levetating around and increasing altitude w/ sheer focus
usually pretty hard

I’ve had very few high aerial flights. Usually it seems just a faster way to look around. I still have so much trouble initiating a flying dream. Like i said, it just comes as faster travel. Some of these flying suggestions are a bit old. Maybe we could bring it up again. Last night I just flew around an auditorium because I was looking for someone. Could we re-start the subject again? I would love to fly out in the open air more instead of it just being faster then walking. Flying helps you see more then teleporting since you see everything as you fly. Teleporting leaves things out

This nice masterpiece by Douglas Adams should become the Holy Bible of Flying:

SPOILER - Click to view

"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and willingness not to mind that it’s going to hurt. That is, it’s going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It’s no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won’t. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you’re halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground, or about how much it’s going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

It is notoriously difficult to prise your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people’s failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momentarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phyllum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonishment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner.

This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration. Bob and float, float and bob. Ignore all considerations of your own weight and simply let yourself waft higher. Do not listen to what anybody says to you at this point because they are unlikely to say anything helpful.
They are most likely to say something along the lines of, ‘Good God, you can’t possibly be flying!’
It is vitally important not to believe them or they will suddenly be right.

Waft higher and higher. Try a few swoops, gentle ones at first, then drift above the treetops breathing regularly. DO NOT WAVE AT ANYBODY.

When you have done this a few times you will find the moment of distraction rapidly becomes easier and easier to achieve. You will then learn all sorts of things about how to control your flight, your speed, your manoeuvrability, and the trick usually lies in not thinking too hard about whatever you want to do, but just allowing it to happen as if it was going to anyway.You will also learn about how to land properly, which is something you will almost certainly cock up, and cock up badly, on your first attempt.

There are private flying clubs you can join which help you achieve the all-important moment of distraction. They hire people with surprising bodies or opinions to leap out from behind bushes and exhibit and/or explain them at the critical moments. Few genuine hitch-hikers will be able to afford to join these clubs, but some may be able to get temporary employment at them."
— Douglas Adams, ‘The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy,’