First Steps to WILD part IV (Basic WILD Q&A)

Ah, ok. Thanks for answering. :content:
I thought it was part of the WILD process, but when I thought about it, I didn’t recall any tutorial mentioning it.
Today I tried again and I didn’t have any of these ‘Mycloninc jerks’. :smile:

i am trying right now ^^ yyyaaaawn… gonna have some berakfast first :tongue:

A bit off-topic, but I love when people post that they are in the middle of a WBTB. :tongue: Don’t know why… :grin:

:content:

why is it that you should wake up after 4.5 to 6 hours after going to sleep? i mean, at this very point of ime, are you “in the middle”, at the beginning or at the end of a REM period or even in between? and should i add the usual time that it takes me to fall asleep or does this interval cover that already?

im studying biology but calculus and logic have never been on my side :tongue:
so, thank you again ^^

You should add the usual time it takes you to fall asleep :wink:

moved from pathways forum :moogle:

i’ve done it before but havent been able to pull it off for a few months now. i count and relax my body but… nothing…please help!?

Maybe you can try a different method of staying aware, such as visualization for instance. The other thing you could do, assuming you aren’t already, is to combine WILD with WBTB that is known for increasing the chances of being successful. :smile:

On Wikipedia it suggested to not try WILD right before bed but to instead wake up half way through and try it then. This seems to make sense but I could also seeing it as being harder because I would be falling asleep much faster. What are your opinions?

lol I just saw that my question was basic answered in the previous post so I’m guess I want to know is if I should still try before bed and then again in the middle of the night.

There isn’t any harm in trying it before bed, as long as you don’t let it upset you getting to sleep. You might like to try MILD or auto suggestion in that time instead though, since the chances of you getting lucid from doing that seem to be higher, but it’s personal preference I guess. :smile:

Meh, I still haven’t succeeded. :sad:
Most of the time I just lose focus, then when I realize that, I try to bring my attention back to what I was visualizing but it just wakes me up. And when things go right I get too excited which wakes me up. I know I shouldn’t be excited but I can’t help it. :help:

When I get very numb and relaxed I often feel as though I have moved when I haven’t or I am very convince that I have? Explanation?

You mean that (in example) your arm feels like it’s lying next to your head when it’s actually next to your leg or something like that?

Can someone explain this nap technique? How long does it take and how long have you already been awake when you try this?

A few nights ago I was WILDing. I just got to my bed early, 9 pm, altough lately I go to bed at midnight, something I dislike as I see 9 the best time to fall asleep. I readed Exploring the World of Lucid Dreams in my bed until 9:45 and then went to sleep, with the intention of WILDing. I began either counting, visualising or just letting my mind’s eye go. I used all three ways, when one failed I would try the next. I knew counting would take a while, so I merely decided to count until something interesting happened. I got to about 150 or 160 something, but I was counting “1, estoy soñando, 2, estoy soñando…” to make it easier. Sometimes I would lose count, only to resume it right a few seconds later. There was a moment when I felt a weird sensation all over my body, but I can’t remember why I lost it. Sometimes I would see some random mental image, but the very moment I saw and realized what it was it left. And with visualizing, I don’t recall anything interesting. I was awaken by my brother at midnight, and decided to stop and get a restful night and try later. What do WILD authorities think about this?

I don’t think it matters too much how long you’ve been awake, whenever I napped it was usually between 1pm and 4pm, but that’s only because it’s the best time for me, I am usually free then. I get up between 3am and 4am, so had I would usually sleep for between 1 and 2 hours, depending how tired I was. Sometimes I’d wake up in the middle or even several times.

I have reached the same stage a couple of times, I believe what you need to do is let them stabilize. I’m not entirely sure how you would do this, but I believe you need to give them time and keep focused on the technique you were using to stay aware until they stabilize.

Hi all. :smile: Sorry if my question is repetitive, but I’ve been trying to WILD. I wake up after 4-6 hours, and then I stay up for a bit, have some caffeine or some chocolate, listen to music that makes me really hyper, go on here and DreamViews, and then go back to bed and WILD. However, no matter how much I try to wake myself up, I always fall asleep after around half an hour or so, maybe 45 minutes. Does anybody have any tips for me that will help me stay awake during WILD? I’ve already tried focusing on my breathing. In addition, on the other site, I found a technique where you don’t focus on your breathing or something like that, but you instead focus on a constant, outside sound like a clock ticking or a metronome. I was curious to see if anybody here thought that might work. Thanks in advance for replying. :smile: Sorry for a longish post.

~L_D_W~

I also have this problem. :sad: Or I just fall asleep or the WILD just doesn’t work and I give up and fall asleep. :content: I think I read someplace that doing some basic math in your head might work. If I just count I end up losing focus and having to start over or just fall asleep. By doing something like “1 x 1 = 1, 1 x 2 = 2, …, 10 x 10 = 100” I’ve felt that I’m able to keep a bit more focused. I haven’t actually had success with this, I just tried it a couple times (and stay awake)… just thought you might want to give it a try. :wink:

(…)

And I have nother WILD question. I’m not sure it’s a “First steps to WILD” question, but I felt it should go in one of these general WILD topics.

Anyway. This morning I had a WILD which began with HI. I’ve only had WILD’s like this twice now, and in both cases I’ve had the same problem: lack of visual vividness. The thing is, the images start out weak and they don’t seem to get clearer. I end up entering a dream but I don’t really realize it. I don’t see the moment to step in! The images continue weak so I assume it’s still the HI… In the one this morning I even heard music and when I tried to rub my hands to see if I was already in a dream they felt like “pins and needles”. In the other one I had, as soon as I realized I was already in the dream (which took a while :happy: ) I got excited and the image started getting clearer, but I woke up.

So, any idea what I could do (if I’m able to do it again)? Or how to realize I’m to step in? :cry: Thanks for any help, or even if you just read it. :tongue:

I start by saying that I didn’t read the whole thing (it’s kinda long…) so if anyone asked something similar I might not have noticed

I’ve tried the WILD technique two days ago; I think I saw some HH (stuff like weird sparkling patterns, twirling colours, etc…) though weak…and at some point I started feeling weird…it felt like the bed was swinging like a cradle, and I thought that it was a good sign since I had read something similar in a website…but then the feeling stopped…did I do something wrong or is it normal for it to stop?

Also…I never reached sleep paralisis…but at a certain point it took me some willpower to force my body to move…should I have kept trying or did it just work bad?

Perhaps you could try a different method for staying aware. FILD might work well for you, there is a description of it Here and you can ask questions Here.

I’m guessing you already did it with WBTB, I don’t think you said though. Perhaps you could try spinning in the dream or just staring at something? I’m guessing you already know those techniques though, sorry I couldn’t be more help.

I wouldn’t say that you did something wrong exactly, I believe that to WILD you’d need to take your focus away from your body. I wouldn’t worry about sleep paralysis, if you forget your body, SP will come. If you focus on your body and how it feels you mightn’t get to sleep. :wink:

Thanks anyway, Dragon73. :wink:
I actually had a few more tiny WILD’s like this the past week. They were very vivid HI! I don’t know, maybe I’m gettign a bit used to it. :content: