If you die in a dream, do you die in real life?

When I was a kid, I was told that if you died in a dream, you died in real life. Now, while I am skeptical about this, I still feel the need to ask. Has anyone here died in their dreams, and lived to tell the tale?

:fly:
The Rev

OMG yes, unfortunately. (I mean the dreams not living) Look up the have you ever been shot thread and don’t worry I don’t think anybody’s death dreams were even precog in nature

Yes, I have. I’ve died in a dream before. The story about dieing in your sleep while you’re dieing in your dream is a lie.

My dream happened quite oddly. My brother and I were in a parking lot filled with tons and tons of cars and a table. We were speaking to somekind of being and we were asking him questions. “What are you doing to us?” was one of them. The next thing I knew, I saw myself running in third person view. Then in first person view, everything just stopped. I could faintly hear my brother call out my name then I felt my body hit the ground. Everything shut down in my body. I tried to awaken myself from the dream, only to find myself paralized. I couldn’t feel my heartbeat and I couldnt’ feel myself breathe. I was scared to death. I also couldn’t hear anything around me. The only thing I did have was my conciousness. I felt I died, but moments later I jumped out of bed panting and sweating.

When I was a teenager back in the 80’s (the era of the Evil Empire and The Day After) I used to have dreams about being caught in a nuclear war. I would never die, nor would I see the blast, but I would experience the panic of waiting those last minutes, and sometimes, I would get alot of wind, etc.

I always wondered if I would have died in real life if the dream had gone far enough. Scary stuff (then again, I was a scary teen :happy: )

:fly:
The Rev

Like everyone else said, no you wont die. It is just an old wives tale. How do you think it came to be anyway? If someone died in a dream, and then really died in real life, they wouldn’t be able to wake up and tell us about it :wink:

Scary Teen? That’s what I am. Seriously, I see myself die in dreams more frequently than I want to. But, that’s just my daydreams, and occassionally I die in regular dreaming. I’m still alive and I’ve survived it so, no you wouldn’t have died.

Good point!

:lol:

The Rev

In one dream my head was cut off and I watched it rolling around my body in 3rd person view.

As a sidenote the movie Dreamscape has people who try to kill the president in his dreams, I think it might be possible for someone with a weak heart to die of a heart attack caused from a dream.

Dying in a dream can be kind of fun. Once I got to be a ghost, once I reincarnated 4 or 5 times (and lived all those lives, the same guy kept killing me, very odd) once I just picked my life back up and they had a party for me because I came back to life. Try it, maybe you’ll get to go to heaven!

We should ask this question to the Baron of Munchausen, who died so many times IRL, and is still there to tell how he died. :grin:
I died many times during dreams. Generally, then you dream you’re a ghost, or the story changes, or you stay a little bit in the dream, believing you’re dead and wake up a few time after that etc.

There was another thread about the same topic. I’ll try to find it out and merge them, so you can see more answers. :smile:

I have died quite a few times in dreams… Still around to tell about it.

[size=75]The Rev wrote:[/size]

My mom used to say the same thing :content:

One night I had 3 dreams in which I died 3 different ways. I might be a ghost, but I get the feeling that I’m still alive…
:smile:

I didn’t manage to find it. :sad:

I did :tongue:

Topic on dying in dreams:

https://community.ld4all.com/t/dying-in-your-dream/12491

and another related one, on being shot, is here:

https://community.ld4all.com/t/ever-been-shot/9469

This will be moved into stuff dreams are made of from now, since thats where it belongs.

I have heard that if you die in your dreams you can or might die in real life?

How could such a thing possibly be known? I mean, you can’t just ask dead people what they were dreaming as they died.

I’ll quote Waking life…

“Lets say you find yourself walking in a dream parking lot; and yes, those are dream feet, inside dream shoes, part of your dream self. and so the image you see before you cannot be who you truly are; It is an image, a mental model.”

The “you” that dies in your dreams isn’t really you, but your mental projection of what you think you are, thus, dying in your dreams has no effect on your waking self (physically, anyway)

BUT, it could happen as an odd possibility.

I don’t think it’s impossible. Certainly if you truely believe you will die and your mind fails, you might die. But don’t you think your brain is equipped to make sure that that doesn’t happen? If we are “allowed” to have dreams, I’m sure we would be evolved enough to have a risk free experience. Dying in dreams would only show you the truth of what might be happening in real life with something. Dream interpretation.

But I guess if you were sleep walking, while having a dream, and you managed to jump off a roof or second story, I guess you might get yourself killed :wink:

Or if you were dying of something else and felt the same dying experience in your dream.