Lucidity Challenge 44—Winner: drd

Last’s night’s dream:

The sheet of paper is a pale brownish yellow, as if it’s from a old book that was printed on cheap paper. There are no words on it in any script, just some black circles connected by lines, like a diagram of the Sephirot in Kabbalah, or a schematic of how the rooms are connected from some old text adventure game.

I think this is a near miss for the “Find a map of your dreamscape” subtask; it probably is a map, but in the dream I wasn’t certain what it was, so it may not count for the points.

obfusc8, I didn’t say the flight had to be horizontally between them, although you’re right in that my mental image of the task was in that direction. I just wanted flight to be something more than immediately rising above the environment. I’ll count the rocket boots as a received power as well, as you had a unique flight. I am slightly concerned that you believed En’enra and thought my smirk meant I was up to something, though. I finally change my avatar from angry to happy, and everybody acts like it’s a bad thing. :tongue: Long story short, if you want me to be evil, I’ll be evil; I’m there to help in whatever fashion. :smile:

En’enra, I’m not sure if I should count the snake-thief either. You noted his intentions were good, and beyond that, it wasn’t a robbery. Depending on if he was allowed in your house, it’s either larceny or burglary; a robbery is the forceful theft of something via threatening or using force on a person. I’d be willing to let one of the two issues slide, but there’s two here. :confused: Of course, if there’s a detail I’m missing about the dream, tell me. You did get points for talking with an animal.

Susan_Y, if you think it’s a near miss, then I won’t count it. As I told En’enra, if there’s another detail that makes it count, please tell me.

I’ve updated the scores and grid and will update the task post and photo grid soon. The Power team has all of its subtasks unlocked; way to go! The Explorer team just had a rather unique subtask unlocked based on top-down RPGs: “Become a giant as you leave a town”. I imagine most people get the reference, but I’ll explain it for the millennial generation that grew up in an age where sprite scaling existed. :razz: Many old games would use the same art for the characters regardless of setting, and the setting would be drawn on a scale relative to how interactive it is. Art could not be resized on most old game consoles without having a separate, scaled copy in the game. This means that when characters in older RPGs are in towns, they appear to be at the right scale, but when the action zooms out to show characters traversing a large, empty expanse outside of a town, the characters appear to be colossi. While it’s just a visual quirk in old games, we’ll play with it as if it’s an intended behavior. :happy:

Woo did a bunch of tasks in a ND last night. Specifically, I went to an event held in my honor, I grabbed a tool from a utility belt and used it, Dressed as a Soldier (A Team Fortress 2 soldier, specifically!), and also learned how to use a weapon from a DC. The last one was more like a tutorial on how to use weapons in general, but, considering that said tutorial helped me defeat the main antagonist of the dream, I think it was pretty useful.

^ Okay, I’ve marked all of this and updated everything.

There’s only four subtasks left to reveal! While I obviously can’t say who will feel this way, I assure you that some of you will shout something like “!@#%$! I was so close in that one dream I had!” when you see those subtasks. :tongue:

Don’t count that one for me, then, since I didn’t have a proper understanding of the word “robbery”. :happy: Thanks for the clarification!

So… another NLD’d task! I wonder if I can do them all this way! :tongue: Seriously, though, SC. Even though you’re so good at throwing these subtasks into casual dream plot could you throw me a lucid bone while you’re at it? :razz:

Scipio Loses a Fight ~ Non-Lucid Dream ~ Task I Part B3 size=75̶[/size]

Stats so far:

[spoiler]NLDs: 4
Short LDs: 3
Medium LDs: 0
Long LDs: 0

Task 1:-E C4 & I5 | D5 | B3
[/spoiler]

^ You’re not allowed to use my DJ convention without paying royalties. I wish I could award you no points for that theft. :grrr: Never mind that I totally took my convention from somewhere else!

I’ve updated the scores. The revealed subtasks did not change.

Another Short LD last night which turned rapidly into a FA No tasks done.

I had 6 short non-lucid dreams last night, including:

I played a musical instrument (a Japanese koto). (I can always hope there’s a “Guitar Hero” subtask we haven’t revealed yet, but I doubt I’ll be that lucky). My playing in the dream was terrible; I couldn’t properly remember a tune.

I’m on a battlefield, with a convoy of armoured trucks. Then I’m high up above in the air, wired into a computer system in some way. I’m looking down towards the ground. firing at enemy vehicles with a laser beam.

There was more context in that dream, but I can’t remember it. Doesn’t count for the “Dress as a soldier” subtask as I didn’t look to see if I was wearing a uniform. Possibly counts for “Pilot a mecha from within”, if you allow flying mechs. The dream did feel like it was from that kind of anime. (I got to be Rei Ayanami or someone like that).

So… not even gonna mark this one tentative. :razz: That being said I’ll be back with a point dump on Sunday afternoon. :wink:

Lucid Shards ~ Short Lucid Dream

Stats so far:

[spoiler]NLDs: 4
Short LDs: 4
Medium LDs: 0
Long LDs: 0

Task 1:-E C4 & I5 | D5 | B3
[/spoiler]

I jumped into a television screen in a ND last night. :grin:

Susan_Y, I need a mech, not just any machine with weapons. It sounds like you were in a truck, unless I’m reading things wrong…? I need a machine that has limbs that you control from within for that subtask. Again, if I don’t know something about the dream, please tell me.

Mew151 revealed another subtask; only three left! The revealed subtask does say “and explore”, and given that it’s an Explorer subtask, I will require an attempt at exploring, so don’t think it’s just flavor text. I’ve updated everything.

Remember that the team leading in current subtask completions per member each week will get a bonus subtask the next week. Bonus subtasks will each be worth 40 points for the winning team (and thus 20 for the losers) and are fairly neutral in terms of appeal to any given team. It’s a small advantage, but LCs have been won by small point differences in the past, so you want to have it! The current rates are…

Explorer: 21 subtask completions / 7 members = 3 subtask completions per member
Hero: 15 subtask completions / 3 members = 5 subtask completions per member
Power: 12 subtask completions / 3 members = 4 subtask completions per member

I had a medium-length LD this morning.

Before I became lucid, I was fighting Loki from Thor/The Avengers. In order to defeat him, I had to become a vampire and learn a way of biting him that would destroy him. I definitely think that counts as learning a dark power. Here’s a brief breakdown of it. I think it also counts as taking a DC’s power, but I’ll let Thorn be the judge of that. Also, used a Portal.

When I became lucid, I flew between skyscrapers. Ironically, trying to remember the millions of tasks available made me wake up XD.

[spoiler][ND]Loki had taken over a building of some kind that a magic society was in charge of. The problem was that he could easily wipe any of them out (appearing to have some kind of extra magic besides trickery), but because he held a staff he was their leader by default.

Because I wasn’t a part of the society, I could oppose him. Unfortunately, he was invincible to most attacks. The only way we could stop him was if I had some kind of super natural powers. It seems he was actually weak to magic, but because he controlled the society, he was safe.

A vampire offered to turn me into a vampire as well. I didn’t care too much either way as I figured I could control the power. He sort of transferred his energy into me and I was a vampire. Biggest difference was that I had sharper teeth overall, not just two big ones. I also was more sensitive to sound.

I used a portal to reach Loki’s location. After a quick fight in which he was too confident because he didn’t know about my powers, I grabbed him and bit his neck. Rather than suck his blood, it felt more like my bite severed his power source, and that in turn killed him.[/ND]

I briefly woke up but used WILD to get back into the dream. I failed and found myself in the building in the same room where I fought Loki. His body was still there but there was now a flood.[LD]I remembered I was supposed to be dreaming and everything in the room disappeared. I walked out on the balcony and found myself in what looked like New York in the 30s. The alley I was in was devoid of people, but and I was between two very tall buildings.

I jumped out the window and began to hover. Flying felt really good as I haven’t just flown for the fun of it in several LDs. Rather than jump right into the LC, I wanted to just enjoy myself.

I started flying through the alley and realized that it just kept going. Sometimes it would turn at impossibly sharp angles. I wanted to get to the streets but couldn’t seem to find a way out. I started flying faster, wall running whenever the turns got sharper than what I could fly with. At one point I grabbed on to a fire escape and tried to think.

I wanted to do LC tasks, but all I could think of were ones that I had already done. I tried to pull out a map of the dream world but nothing was in my pocket. I tried to remember anything else on the chart, but I woke up trying to visualize the chart.[/LD][/spoiler]

Had an LD here that was around 5-6 minutes long making it a medium LD for me. I tried to get Taskmaster (Thorn) to transform me into the “Creature from the Black Lagoon” which unfortunately didn’t complete. I almost swam underwater which was stopped by a glitch at the end. Thorn did shrink me down to a very small size but as I was technically transforming nor did I fully explore the environment beyond the pond, I don’t know if it counts.

Okay, the scores are updated and there was no need to update the task post or photo of the grid. The current subtask completion rates are…

Explorer: 21 subtask completions / 7 members = 3 subtask completions per member
Hero: 19 subtask completions / 3 members = 6.33 subtask completions per member
Power: 14 subtask completions / 3 members = 4.67 subtask completions per member

Get any new subtask claims in within the next 12 hours, as the task goes up around that time!

I was in a truck on the ground at first, then went in to a flying machine that’s controlled by direct wires plugged into the pilot’s nervous system, rather than normal controls like a joystick etc. Maybe this was a near miss on that subtask: right genre of science fiction, not quite the right robotic body.

Two dreams last night, one of them lucid:

I woke after the first dream, typed it up, then decided it was too early to go make breakfast (as it was Saturday) and went back to bed. I’ll skip the beginning of the second dream, but it ended like this:

I’m lying in bed, in a room with two single beds. A figure gets up from the other bed. He has antlers like a stag, or a tangled mass of tree branches. He’s coming across the room to attack me. I jump to my feet, and calmly sweep my hands in front of my face. I can see my hands, but I don’t feel contact with anything in front of me: no monster.

I say out loud: “I am dreaming and I want to wake up.” Then I think to myself, wait, I could do the Lucidity Challenge. I look around the room and there’s a Siamese cat on the mantelpiece. But I can’t stabilize the dream, as I’ve already started waking up. The whole scene is sucked into blackness.

So that’s one lucid dream, of “short” duration for me, induced by a combination of WBTB and transition from a nightmare, both of which I’ve done before.

I’ll put this short lucid moment here, to end this phase of the challenge with it:

SPOILER - Click to view

I recall becoming lucid last night. I was searching for some kind of an office, but everywhere I went, DCs told me that that was the wrong place. After a while I started paying more attention to the layout of the building, and I realized that I was dreaming. I asked a DC if I was correct, and she confirmed it. I was about to go out of the office to perform tasks for the LC, and that’s where my recall ends. So, a very short lucid moment.

No LDs, no tasks that I know of…

Although I’m betting there’s an LC Host related task in the Hero section, so linking this on the off-chance, as Thorn featured in it.

I did some tasks last night in a ND. Specifically I did the “Shrink down and explore” task and the “Score the winning points” task.