Past Life Expiriences (Archetypal Memory)

I think that ‘proven’ is too strong a word. Maybe ‘shown to be possibly viable’.

Where did they come from when the first humans were born?

What about the billions upon billions of people who died over 80 years ago? 200years ago? 5000years ago.

The fact that the population has doubled means nothing, there’s been billions of people born and died over many ions. You make it sound like it’s the same handful that come back and no one says that every person is reincarnated, some will be new souls.

As far as the guy born with scars go, my mother was being born and strangled by her umbilical chord at the exact same time that John Christie was being hung. Does that mean she’s him? No of course it doesn’t.

The problem with reincarnation, there is no way to prove it. People are born with deformaties all the time, by why would their past life many years ago effect a new body? There’s no reason for it to do so. It’s just as likely this man had read or heard about the person from his “past life” in passing and his subconsious picked it up and he ended up having flashes and feelings based on that, the scars could be mere coincidence. It certainly isn’t proof.

Extinct animals? Alien life forms? and who says that new souls can’t be produced?

Anyway the birthmark mentioned by dsystemofadownz could be a coincidence. Lots of people are born with birthmarks and it stands to reason that eventually somebody would be born with a birthmark mirroring the generals wounds.

Also If he already believed that he was a general in a past life when he visited the place of his death he would have expected to feal emotion, the sickness and crying could have been wishful thinking. The mind also seems to have a way of filling in gaps in memory with what is likely to be true. If the man truly believed that he had been reincarnated his mind could have given him false memories to fill in the blanks.

I’m not saying that reincarnation is false, it could easily be true, but this evidence doesn’t completely proove reincarnation.

Thats pretty cool, but I wouldnt call it proof. For it be proof, the guys mother, two police-men, a psychic, and several bearded ladies from a nearby circus would need to tell a camera that the ex-general has never told a lie in his life. He would then need to cut down a cherry tree for good effect.

Even if you consider the billions of people around, that doesn’t mean there would be only billions of souls, and wouldn’t mean that a long time ago there would only be millions.

I believe that souls are “born”, generated somehow, and they don’t ALWAYS come here. They can come to earth as a human, but they may go to another dimension/universe/whatever as another kind of being. Others stay in the “astral plane”/other world/heaven/whatever you want to call it, doing other stuff.

In spiritism, they say that people have to live many lives to learn from experiences. If they don’t learn enough, they keep coming back until they learn all they have to, and “evolve” as spirits, become a higher level spirit.

So it would be logic to say that that guy could have been a general in his past life. He lived that life as a general, then the next one as he is now, etc.

I think this hardly qualifies as proof. Think about it, how many people have birthmarks in places that other people have been shot or injured? I’d bed the number is staggeringly huge, and in any case, there is no way to actually prove that any of these people are connected in any way.
As for remembering his past life, you just have to take his word for it, since we can’t go and ask his previous incarnation if he is correct, can we? Re-incarnation isn’t easily falsifiable, so I wouldn’t call this proof. I mean, I’m not trying to tell everyone that reincarnation isn’t real, I’m just saying, take this ‘proof’ with a grain of salt.

…when I was little I wanted to be a Dentist, perhaps I was a Dentist in a former life :tongue:

I dont see how a memory that is most possible a false memory can prove reincarnation, as does not sound very scientific at all.

It is much more likely that his mind made up the false memory in a attempt of explaining his birth defect.
Did they actually find a dead body with same wounds/defects as this persons birth defects?

And why is it only this person that experienced this?? There are plenty of people who die with a severely damaged body, why dont they wake up to another life with these defects?

Or you were someone with serious tooth problems. :wink:

I agree with most of the comments so far. It seems virtually impossible to prove whether or not reincarnation can occur, as there’s really no way to verify that the memories you have of your past life are actually real. It seems like this “former general” noticed that the location of his birthmark matched that of the general’s bullet wound, and so he (consciously or otherwise) invented a bunch of memories about life as a general. I’m not saying it’s definitely not real, just that it’s clearly not definitive proof.

Anyway, isn’t it odd how everyone who remembers their past life was always an important figure in history, or in some way contributed to making society a better place? They were always war heroes who died in battle, or doctors, or beloved entertainers, or “the guy who invented X.” Nobody ever remembers being a poor rice-farmer in a small Chinese town. Nobody ever remembers being a criminal who spent a significant amount of time behind bars, or a child who died before her 10th birthday to some common illness. Doesn’t this perhaps indicate that some people may be remembering what they want to remember, for their ego’s sake?

Uhh, not Earth? Thats the worst contradictory idea I’ve heard for opposing Reincarnation.

Silly Humans, such Earthbound thinking. You didn’t start as a Homo Sapien, you won’t end as one.

As far as Athiests comment: I was an average schmuck as I am today. :wink:

While I don’t really believe that souls came from aliens or being on other planets, I do believe that souls can be born. Obviously they have to be able to be created, where did the first souls come from? And besides not every soul is incarnated at the same time, there are prolly a lot hanging around in the Summerlands (or the astral, or the left, or whatever you want to call it)

It can’t be proved, and it can’t be disproved. That’s the really frustrating thing about religion, but otherwise it wouldn’t be religion, it would be science.

Blessed Be :cool:
-Phoenix

About 2/3 of the souls are not currently incarnated. They are roaming around the planet.

There are more than enough souls to take care of rising birth rates.

Where exactly did you get this info from?

And what’s going to happen when we reach the limit?

If we replace the events in the good order: the man had a birthmarks on the face. Then he hears a general was shot in the face. Then he got memories from his “past life”.

The problem is that false memories can be easily created. And this should be obvious for LD’ers who often experience false memories in LD’s.
New evidence shows false memories can be created
Another experiments were done for instance making people believe they have been lost on a shopping mall when they were a child.
Lost on a Shopping Mall
Many of them could remember this false event, and they were able to describe the people who brought them back to their parents. Some of them didn’t even want to believe it was false when they were told at the end of the experiment.

I definately believe in riencarnation. I can’t explain myself because I’m not allowed… It makes a lot of sense though. [size=9]Damn voices won’t let me…[/size]

Similar to that only a lot more complex.

This is reincarnation at it’s pop-level, I think. If you watch the section in Waking Life where the man and his wife are discussing reincarnation, it sums it up perfectly. Sure, someone can say he/she was something special in a past life, but, as the wife says, he/she “was probably just a dumb **** like everyone esle.”

I think reincarnation is an extremely valid idea, though I obviously cannot be 100% sure that it exists. I am willing to accept that I may have been a criminal or no one important in a past life.

I do believe in reincarnation, and i have in fact had such an experience in the most vivid dream i’ve ever had, but that I’ll talk about another time…as far as tissue memories I honestly have no idea what that is, and I have never had a “tissue massage” again have no idea what that is. But I definately believe in reincarnation and past lives, because I have experienced a memory from one, it was just that real to me…

yeah I agree with dd, I really don’t believe in the stuff about tissues, but the reincarnation part I believe in.

I believe in reincarnation, and always have. I’m not entirely sure why, it just seems right to me. I don’t believe it would make sense for us to have just one life, one that’s incredibly brief in comparison to… Well, the universe itself I suppose.
And, I believe most things are cylcic. Time, etc… We wake up, live, go to sleep, and wake up again. Likewise, I believe we are born (physically), we live, die, then are reborn until we’ve transcended to a higher plane, and so on.

But I also believe we exist multidimensionally— and so I don’t necessarily view reincarnation as a linear set of lives. Rather I think it’s more likely that we’re living all of our lives simultaneously, not including the other aspects of ourselves in higher realms, parallel universes or places beyond our comprehension entirely.

Not that I have any proof for these beliefs, as I accept the possibility that it’s wrong. I do think that false memories can be fabricated, yes-- but I still think we all hold them somewhere.

As for the thing about there being more people than there would be souls, or whatever… Sure. I won’t start trying to assume the nature of souls and whatnot right now. But still: we live on a tiny planet. In a little galaxy among countless others in a universe larger than we can even fathom— which is possibly just ONE of many universes, maybe as big as a speck of dust in some other larger, greater realm that’s beyond our ability to even imagine. We likely won’t ever know these things. Humans, anyway. And so I can’t confidently apply human standards to the entire universe and every thing and entity inside of it.