The BIG "Was this a LD?" topic - Part IV

It’s not really a LD. As wissam says, you probably became aware of your body being paralyzed during REM sleep. It wasn’t really the sleep paralysis trouble cause you weren’t paralyzed when you woke up.

Such dreams may sometimes look like LD’s. As you tried to wake up, it means that you were aware that you were dreaming, thus you were a bit lucid. Now, if it could be compared to a LD, it would be just a very low lucid moment. I don’t feel that you were able to stand back from your dream enough in order to modify it or your emotions, what is quite easy with a medium lucidity level.

Ok, I had yet another…confusing maybe a Lucid, Dream. I was in my backroom, and one of my DC were there. He mentioned something along the lines of “This is not real, its fake” or “This is a dream”. Whatever he said, it led me to do a RC where I looked at my hands. I had multiple fingers, and I said to myself “I am dreaming”. I remember reading on here that you can spin around, or rub your hands together. I rubbed my hands together, and nothing happened. I tried to test the lucidity by putting my hands in my pocket, and taking out something that i wanted, but i couldn’t think of anything. Then I was just like “Ok, I am probably just trying to fall asleep, so I am not very aware of my dream, so i will just sit here and wait for myself to fall asleep more”. And thats all I remember.

This is the second time I had what seems to be a Lucid Dream, but one that I have a Low Lucidity.

Yay! This morning I had my first LD-like experience! :cool_laugh: After going to sleep again from a very scary nightmare I had a very vivid dream. When I was waiting for my male friend to come or call me or something like that, I heard my cell phone ring and I took it and in that moment I thought “this has gotta be my friend, but it would be awesome if it’s-”. It was my dream-sign girl (she exists in real life and she would never call me, that’s why she is my dream sign :tongue:) and I thought too bad, it’s just a dream (like I did before when she called me in another dream) but this time I actually thought “wait? This is a dream? I’m dreaming?” But then I woke up (or thought I woke up) and saw only the black of my closed eyes and tried to imagine something, to go back into a dream. When this happened, I ND’ed again, I guess. Maybe I just dreamed that I was lucid, because this phone call happened before in a dream and my subconscious is trying to fool me, but - who cares? It was awesome nonetheless and my first step to lucidity. :content: Time to recognize my dream signs!

Congrats on your LD’s Madshadow and Robin. :good:

Madshadow, rubbing hands or spinning is useful only when your dream fades. You should plan something to do in your next LD or you’ll just don’t know what to do and fall back into a ND quickly.

Robin, as soon as you become lucid, try to look at your hands and later stare at them from time to time. It’s a prolonging technique.

Thanks, Im happy to have another LD, but one of the problems is, in my dreams, I am lucid (i realize i am dreaming), but I cannot do what I planned to do in the first place. I usually want to try to fly, but (this happened in my first LD) I just could not fly.

Can fading into a ND be the same as believing you are not fully asleep? Because thats what happened here.

There were two “Learning to fly” threads in the Quest for Lucidity subforum. For instance this one:
Learning to fly in LD’s
There are two sorts of dream fading. What is actually called “dream fading” IMO, that is, you’re still lucid but visuals disappear quickly. Then you have to spin or rub your hands to make visuals reappear. Now if you spin, beware the FA! :tongue: Do systematically a RC after this.

Or you can lose lucidity. It’s like what you describe, it happens gradually, you start to believe more and more that the dream is reality. This makes consciousness and vividness disappear until you’ll be in a ND. In order to avoid this, you have to stare at your hands or perform a RC from time to time, as I said above. This gives a boost to lucidity.

So, I have finally gotten myself to write a post…
Yesterday night I had a dream. :eek: I’m not sure what it was about exactly, I just remember following some strange guy in a coat and there was snow everywhere… Suddenly, the thought “I am dreaming” went through my head (just for the record, I used BenDrummin58’s autosuggestion technique before I went to bed - I just repeated “In 6 hours, I will realize that I am dreaming”). This has already happened to me once before, but that time I lost lucidity before I even got the chance to hold on to it. :sad: The strangest thing is that the dream didn’t become any more vivid or realistic. :confused: My first reaction was “I need to stay lucid!”, so I started spinning in place. I stopped a second later altough I didn’t want to. I still felt lucid and was aware of everything that was happening but I didn’t feel like I was completely in control of my actions… :neutral: Next thought - “I want to fly!” - and all of a sudden I jumped in the air! I don’t remember anything after that…
So, my question is - do you think this was a LD? I don’t know what to think - whether this was truly a LD and those were my thoughts or if it was just a behavioral script made by my mind based on my thoughts, feelings and expectations from my waking life…
To conclude - please :help:

Sounds like a lucid dream with such a low lucidity, that you didn’t get any fruits of it. I think you have to practise the autosuggestion method more often, read more about LDing in WL and do some RCs. I think with a lot of training it has to work and you get more and more lucidity (awareness) and hopefully some control, for you to have a little fun in it. :smile:

I forgot to mention one important detail. After the thought “I am dreaming” passed through my mind, I did a RC! I looked at my hands, but I didn’t notice anything strange or different about them. I tried to push my right index finger through the palm of my left hand, but it didn’ go through - instead the back of my hand bulged an inch or so, like my hand was made of rubber! :confused:
I don’t understand why I failed the RC. Was it because I didn’t really believe it was a dream? :sad:
:help:

moved into the BIG ‘was this a LD?’ topic :content:

Oh Q!! I just posted something and tried to hit the button to return to the thread, but it wasn’t possible and now my post disappeared! :tongue:

I’m sorry :help: can you hit back on your browser and recover the post?

how did you know it was me who merged it? :tongue: *hides between [ mod] tags :hide:

Hah! Got it! Thanks, the back button idea was genious. :content:

I saw that you merged it, because you were a “dreamer on this forum”. :smile:

RCs don’t necessarily have to work. Your dream is made up by your mind and, like you said, if you don’t really believe in it, your mind does some mean tricks. But it kind of worked. You’ve had a hand of rubber, that isn’t usual in real life, is it? So, with a little more training (like I said above, which totally isn’t everything, but I’m not an expert) you should recognize that you’re in a dream and become lucid.

[size=9]Well, my post wasn’t that great anyway.[/size]

One thing about RC’s that is not mentioned much is that you may have to “expect” something to be different in a dream. Like you may have to say to yourself “If I am dreaming when I look at my hands, I will have too many fingers”. Your SC is makeing up everything, so it can make all your RS’s fail in a dream. You have to convince your SC to help you do RC’s that work.
I would say that it was an LD, otherwise all the 10-30sec. LD’s that I have had were not LD’s. It is normal that the first ones are very short and you don’t have much time to do anything or change anything in the dream. The good news is that you are getting there, so keep up the goo work. :grin:
don

^ Good tip.

I’ve had another experience…

I noticed my dead cat again. And I immidiately thought “this is a dream”. But then, the same phenomenon from my first LD happened. But it was a little different. I don’t know if it was real (I think so) or just my dreaming trying to fool me. I saw the forum for some time in my imagination (I see or hear those crazy things often when I wake up, I used to talk crazy dialogues when my mother woke me for school) and then there was no dream anymore. I realized that this happened before and thought “oh, this wasn’t part of the dream, I’m always waking up at that point”. When I said “I’m dreaming”, I wasn’t able to form a dream. It was like I was “too conscious” (yet still not conscious enough to satisfy me :tongue:). I hope I’ll get a LD soon.

I’d really appreciate some feedback on this! :smile:

I was lying on my side this morning just dozing when, for some reason, I decided to perform a RC. I plugged my nose, and to my surprise I could breathe through it. I tried to keep calm and do another RC. I looked at my hands, but when I looked at where they were supposed to be I just couldn’t see them. All this time, my body felt so heavy, most noticably my eyelids (I had closed them at one point, but forced them open again).

I then decided to rub my hands together, and when I did this they felt really weird - heavy and half-numb, like when you have pins and needles. I was going to shout ‘increase lucidity’, but I remember being worried my mum would hear.

I have a poster on my wall right where my head was facing, so I decide to look at the text on it (this again was a real struggle). The word didn’t change. My next idea was looking at the clock, but I just couldn’t make my heavy body move.

(I don’t remember this bit so well) I think I then decided to just lay and breathe with my nose blocked for a while. The next thing I know, I’m awake.

Hi starsailing!
It was of course a LD. You realized you were dreaming or else you wouldn’t have tried to shout “increase lucidity!”
Unfortunately, your lucidity level was rather low. :sad: You can shout anything you want in a LD, you mum will not hear it. :wink:

Robin, this was a LD but you didn’t manage to stabilize it. Try the rubbing hands or the spinning technique next time.

I wish you both better luck on your next attempt. :smile:

Last night I had an amazing dream. At some point, I was in an elevator and I had to reach the last floor, the 194th. While I was reaching it, I noticed the elevator won’t stop (and so I will die). Then I thought: Well, that’s not a problem, I’m just dreaming. So I crashed and got out of the elevator like nothing had happened. The dream went on and I wasn’t lucid at any point.

In some sense I knew I was dreaming but I couldn’t take control of anything. It’s like, I knew I was watching a movie, I knew it wasn’t real, but I couldn’t act in that movie at any time.
What does that mean? Could that be considered as a low-level lucidity?

(By the way I dreamt I was in a very tall building watching airplanes throwing missiles, one of them threw a chemical bomb and everyone started to run, it was very scary. There was green poison expanding in all directions, I had to hide from breathing it. I remember it very well, and when this kind of dream happens, it means something. Some time ago I dreamt of two towers: it didn’t mean nothing to me but it was important in some sense. A few days ago was 11-S… :eek: )

I’d say you were lucid in the elevator at least but later on not so much. Sounds more like prelucid than lucid. I said it somewhere else that I don’t count it as lucid unless I am acting in it. But that’s me.
Wait, did you mean you dreamt about ttwo towers before or after 9-11? If it was before then that’s interesting.

Just so you know, there is already a thread about whether or not you had a LD here

Before posting, use the search button, it will make things easier for the mods and you. See everyone, i have what it takes to be a mod :tongue: hints to Q :grin: Anyway, basically, yes you had a LD, however you did not control it. a LD is a dream in which you know you are dreaming, however when we mean LD we mean controlling the dream. What you need to have is an objective. Something to do when you get a LD, so that when you are Lucid, you don’t just continue your dream but try to pursue your objective. Good luck :content:

I don’t know if this was a LD. If it was then it would be my first LD. I dreamt of being at my school.In the hallway there were tables and chairs. I was sitting in one of those chairs talking to other people.then i looked at one of the pictures on the wall(which shouldn’t be in there) and understood that I was dreaming.I didn’t get that excited although I did feel very happy.The weird thing is that i didn’t feel like the dream was very clear.It felt like a normal dream.So I started spinning around and rubbing hands at the same time just in case. Then i tried to summon a gun by closing my eyes and thinking it would be there, but i guess i opened my real eyes after that, not dream eyes. I wasn’t even thinking anything about LD-ing when i went to sleep before I saw this dream. So, was this a LD or not?:slight_smile: