The BIG WILD Topic - Part XII

I found it in part 11…

Failed at WILD this morning

Will try again tonight. I definitely need to use the counting method, otherwise, I can’t stay awake as my mind always wanders and falls asleep when I try visualization techniques. I think I’ll try counting and if I can make it as far as sp(big if) I’ll try the spinning. The downside to counting is that it takes about 50 minutes to yield sp for me.

Hear is an idea. Combine the 2. As you count imagine yourself floating down with each count. Once you get into the trance you should be able to drop the counting (since you said that also keeps you too awake) then just continue with the falling.

(Hope that made sense. I am very tired. Snow is coming down like crazy here so I have been in and out shoveling.)

Hey, I posted a few pages back asking about metronome use–has anyone since then, tried it? I think I may finally go out and get one today and try it; kind of forgot about the lucid dreaming things a couple of weeks ago.

No, I have not tried it yet. I prefer not to use external stimuli when I do WILD. I want to let the outside world go so I prefer to focus on things like breathing, HI, body sensations etc. Also, I just don’t want to be reliant on an external device.

Don’t get me wrong I am not saying you idea won’t work. It is a good idea. I am just saying I don’t think it would work fro me.

Okay, well, thanks for the tips, I decided to go ahead and try it because I have nothing to lose. The only reason I mentioned it was because someone over at lucidity.com mentioned that he had good results from it. I am going to try it tonight, but I don’t expect anything because I never have.

I’ve listened to a clock instead of a metronome and at first it worked very well for me. But after about a month it stopped working for some strange reason :sad:

Yeah, I think milod may have been right though, seems a bit distracting almost for me, because it seems harder to listen to something a couple of feet away rather than focus on something inside. I have a problem of just not being able to think about nothing for a long time. But what really is the best way to fall asleep. I can keep my mind awake and stay still, but then nothing happens, and then it is 45 minutes later all of a sudden. Any suggestions? Should I just go to sleep after 20 minutes or so, and then try again later?

The trick to a successful WILD (especially at bed time) is to get yourself into a trance (IMO).

First, Use a progressive relaxation technique so your body is deeply relaxed but your mind is wide awake . (do a search for meditation and you will find a simple alert relaxation technique in the meditation thread)

Then, Try the falling technique I mentioned a few posts back. This will deepen your relaxation and bring you down into a trance. From there just continue to focus on the falling sensation. If you start thinking about something else, just bring yourself back to the falling. ( Also you can check out Dm7’s spinning technique in the big wild topic part 11. Very cool) In a short time you will learn how to enter a trance very quickly.

I think your problem is that you are keeping your mind too awake. You have to learn to let go of almost all of your consciousness thought.

Okay thank you very much.

I sleep in a room with a computer. Maybe if I leave the PSU fan whirring, I can succeed at WILD.

I took my first attempt at having a lucid dream last night. I wasnt tryingto use the WILD method but i think thats what happened.I laid down in bed and relaxed myself. I them closed my eyes and told myself over and over “I am goign to have a lucid dream and i am going to remember it” After a while i started feeling myself fall asleep. As this happened i felt my eyelids start to twitch and the room felt like it was fading away. I could see like lines infront of my eyes like when you push on your eyes when they’re closed. Then it felt like i was being sucked into a black hole. This freaked me out and i opened my eyes.

Was this just me falling asleep or was a entering a dream.

I also read something about a part of sleep called rapid eye movement (REM) Is that why my eyes were twitching?

if you have any ideas or tips for me please tell me

I believe I came very close to a WILD last night – wasn’t even really trying. I was trying WBTB, as this has been successful for me in the past.

As I was lying there, relaxing my body, and focusing on becoming lucid in my dream, I began to feel the “vibrations” that I’ve heard about. Soon, I realized that I was in full SP. Then I began having HI – a black and white patten of random lines that began in the center of my field of vision and spread outward until it filled my vision. I felt somewhat disconnect from my body, and I decided to try sitting up. I could feel my upper body rising into a sitting position, but I knew that my physical body was still lying down. However I could not complete the action – I felt as if a force was pressing me back down, and I could not move my legs. Then I guess I got too excited by what was happening, and began to fall out of it.

What do you think – was I close?

Yeah it seems like you were really close! :grin:

I think I am going to start keeping a mini-journal of what I try each night so that I can go through a list and make sure I don’t make the same mistakes over and over.

I heard that the idea of the succubus probably came from people reporting WILD’s. You know how strange they get.

Probobo, I agree. Being rather skeptical about all things supernatural and paranormal, SP and accidental WILDs seem to be a very good probable explaination for alien abductions, incubus, succubus, etc. To me at least.

I think that I’ve done a couple of accidental WILDs myself. One night I was laying in bed reminding myself to do reality checks if I end up being at my place of employment (a school). Then I was there, completely realizing it was a dream. I don’t remember doing a reality check or anything else before I was lucid, other than the fact that I was thinking about the school before I fell asleep.

Too bad I can’t seem to do WILD on purpose. I got very close to it on Friday night. I slipped into SP and started hallucinating a disturbing shadowy figure in the corner of my room, and it distracted me from the task at hand. But, I think I was pretty close to success, so, I’m encouraged. :smile:

And, last night, I was trying again and started to see a Pastor baptising a young woman. He was telling her not to slip on the steps. I haven’t been to church in years, so I thought it was odd. Then I heard a ‘pop’ and I jolted. I always hear funny noises and voices as I fall asleep.

It could explain many of those things and Labarge has made the same speculation. However we still don’t know.

People who talk about OOBE and AP describe very different experiences than people who WILD.

Woo! My first intentional WILD this morning… followed a few minutes later by my second!

I didn’t get any vibrations or anything. I just woke up briefly, went back to sleep and was playing with my HI, imagining a toy car driving around my kitchen floor (for some reason) but I was controlling it. I kept thinking “Am I in a dream yet? Am I in a dream yet?” And it gradually got more vivid over the space of about a minute and then there I was, standing in my kitchen. Didn’t last long though, I couldn’t stop it fading out and I woke up, but did the same thing and found myself right back in my kitchen. Went outside, saw my girlfriend and flew off over my roof.

Hopefully this is a breakthrough and not a one off!

Last night, I was attempting to WILD, and I think I might’ve gotten close. I remained absolutely still and concentrated on my breathing and all and then my eyes started to twitch like crazy. I think there were a few twitches in other muscles, but is was mainly my eyes(they almost opened a couple of times). I got excited and stopped concentrating on my breath and came out of it, but I’m a bit confused. Was this possibly placebo, or my body rebelling because I was being so still? Because I had always thought the vibrations were more like, well, vibrations. As if your body was just vibrating, not twitching. My heartbeat was also very fast and my breathing was uneven, I’m guessing at least partly because I was getting excited. Someone said something about hearing loss, I think I might have experienced this too, but I’m not sure as the only noise was a cd player(not very loud) coming from my sisters room. I don’t think I’ve ever conciously experienced SP, but my body get really numb, so that I can’t even really tell what my position is anymore. Does all of this(i’m esp. curious about the eye twitching) mean I was close to WILDing? Also, I’ve heard it helps just to let your thoughts wander, but this seems to keep me to aware(i’ll start thinking about something from earlier that day for example), and I can’t fall asleep. I’m really excited about getting closer to WILDing, but I just can’t seem to achieve it, I have to much trouble falling asleep.

What you were experiencing was deep relaxation and possibly a light trance.

IMO you do dot want to let your thoughts wander. I believe that will keep you awake. Instead you want to let go of all of your other thoughts while keeping your attention on one small thing(like breathing).

You might want to try the falling technique I mentioned a page or two back. It works grate for me.

Anyway you are definitely showing signs of progress so stay with it. You will get there.

BTW- If you experience the vibrations or SP (not everyone does) you will not have to ask. You will know.

Happy Dreaming

Thanx man. Can the thing you concentrate on be a visualization? Like a candle(maybe even doing it all of the time for consistency, imagining it as a “lucid light” or something)? Concentrating on my breathing did seem to help a bit, but counting(as i’ve heard helps) didn’t. I think I was concentrating to much on the numbers. I will check out your tech. and reply. Do those who don’t experience sp or vibrations, still have success with WILDing? I didn’t get the chance to try it again last night because I was trying to just get in a relaxed position for a few minutes before I attempted to fall asleep, and then sleep itself did sneak up on me while I was unprepared. But I’ll try it again tonight.