The BIG WILD Topic - Part XIII

When you drink alcohol, REM sleep is supposed to be suppressed (to an extent). What you experienced is probably ‘REM-rebound’, intense dreams or HI which follow a period of alcohol consumption.

Pez_Soluble, I don’t really know what advice to give you. I often occurs that people who are beginning with relaxation have some little problem (itching, swallowing, located pains) but it disappears with some practise.

Sleep on your stomach or side with your arms under a pillow.

So tonight i tried WILD again, and started at 12:10ish(because i can sleep till past 11) Because counting down from 100 and over again i always lose count and my mind wanders, I did simple addition. It seems even if your doing the same 1 number and changing the other one, even tho its obvious its enough to keep focus on.
Now i did this for a long time saw HI and had very random abstract thoughts. I tried the falling technique but could barely feel much. Also I had the weird body sensations people talk about but could never get to dreaming.
During this I developed a minor headache and became kind of frustrated so I decided to open my eyes to see the time. 1:20, so it was an hour of not moving ignoring the worst itches no matter what. When i decided to check time i thought i would just scrap it and try WILD another time and just sleep.
I lied again motionless this time until 2:30 but i guess i have developed some insomnia tonight. As now its 3 and cant sleep so Ill just read more about LDs.

I tried it a minute ago and I was like totally relaxed and I saw always purple big shapes getting smaller… then I was even more relaxed and I heared the blood flow through my head very loud… I began seeing out of my eyes, even if there was a mask on my head… then a monster-zombie thing like gollum jumped on me and I were very scared and tried to stand up but it took 3 secs till I could move again…

Edit:
Lol ! look what I found after doing this!!
saltcube.com/out-of-body/cha … jsp?t=1890
Funny? I swear I didn’t read it before!

Idba there is a current topic in it here.

Whenever I try a WILD (which I like because, if you master it, it’s a constant thing) I don’t get bored, I just get exhausted. I get really tired of focusing on staying concious. How can I combat this?

I dont really see, or notice HI when Wilding, I just go streight into the weird thoughts that come with the hypnogogic state? Do the HI usually come after the thoughts.

TheBranMuffin, how many time do you focus on staying conscious? What are you focusing on? What stage do you reach?

Kavaa, some WILD’ers say they don’t see HI. By the way, if you have weird thoughts, you’re in the same stage in which HI generally occurs, IMO. If I’ve well understood, some thoughts are visual, some are auditive, etc.

I go to bed and try to relax. Once I’m generally relaxed I close my eyes and concentrate on breathing or counting, or both. I try to stay as concious as possible, but my mind wanders. Otherwise I start getting tired.

I just focus on staying alert and hope for the best. Occasionally I get what may or may not be HI, but it might be just me.

It seems that I have the same problem, which prevent me from WILD’ing. I can stay alert for hours, and it gives me insomnia. It’s because we focus too much. Several WILD’ers told me that the main thing was falling asleep, and if I focus too much, I won’t fall asleep.
Moreover, it’s rather hard to practise WILD just when going to bed. Beginners should try WILD with WBTB.

I might try that, but it seems really annoying and incovenient. But I think it’s only a matter of time now. I may try that when I wake up in the morning and wait an hour and then try it.

I’ve read somewhere that you don’t really have to wait for a long time when you want to WILD. The original WBTB technique (in which you had to go out of bed and wait about 45 minutes) was initially designed in order to have a MILD. So you can just wake up and try to WILD immediatly.

Heh, I’ve already been doing that. I guess I just have to relax more and stay concious on the lowest possible level.

I’m having a problem with WILD. Whenever I try it, I involuntarily begin to think about the most random of things (ie: Yoda, going on a road trip, people talking gibberish). Sometimes I “hear” and very rarely “see” what’s going on, but my mind becomes so off-focus that I drift off to sleep without acheiving lucidity. I also never experience the vibrations and such that people mention (though I often wake up with limbs having fallen asleep during the night. OWCH!). Any advice?

What do you focus on while WILD’ing, Daedalus?

Usually the ringing in my ears. Sometimes I try counting in my head to stave off abstract thoughts, but it doesn’t help much.

Hmmm… I’m afraid there are not a lot of solutions to your problem… :shy: Everybody has the same trouble indeed. When you begin to think about random things, just don’t worry and come back to your practise. I suppose it will go better and better with experience.

Perhaps it could be easier for you with another object to focus on, for instance the little fuzy dots (phosphenes) that you see with closed eyes, or your breath, or try to induce a falling feeling and focus on it. Maybe someone will have a better idea…

Good luck! :smile:

If you have great difficulties concentrating for WILD, either have a very strong resolution and keep trying (it will get better with experience for sure), or try another method. Seems that for most of these people MILD is more easy.

Trying to stay focused on one thing does take practice but if you stay with it you will improve. You could also try WBTB/WILD and only stay up for a few minutes. WILD does go much more quickly that way.

Anyway, when you get those abstract thoughts just let them go and bring yourself back to your point of focus. Doing a relaxation exercise first will also help you stay focused easier.