LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebil shrimp
LC 11 -TM: Ebil shrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
I’m Thorn, and I get to bring you Lucid/Lucidity Challenge 39 as well as put an obligatory silly smiley in this first sentence! In the interest of not taking ages between LCs, I’m starting the sign-ups quickly, so away we go!
The LC serves as a friendly competition, lucidity motivator, and reason to get angry at other LD4all members and at me. Starting on June 11, 2007 as designed by ian1, the LC has constantly been refined over time to create an increasingly fair and fun competition. The current form of the competition lasts seven weeks from the start of the first Task, with one task each week, allowing plenty of time to incubate dreams and get creative.
The last two LCs saw a radical departure from the scoring system used in LC 36 and earlier. Both formats had their own advantages, and thus this LC will use concepts from both. With that in mind, I ask that previous competitors give the rules a quick read to ensure they know how things are going this time around. Any changes from the last LC, or clarifications that were in previous LCs but unstated, are in red.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
You get these just for having an LD! You do not have to complete a task to get these, so post any and every lucid experience!
Points awarded for each dream:* You wonder if you’re dreaming or you have a false lucid dream (FLD). 5 points
- Short LD: You have whatever you would consider to be short according to typical LD’s you’ve had in the past. 20 points
- Medium LD: You have what you would consider a medium length LD. This should be the average length of most of your dreams up to this point. 30 points
- Long LD: You have what you would consider a long LD. 40 points
- Longest Dream: You break your personal record for longest LD (see details for new dreamers below). 50 points
Everybody is requested, but not required, to provide an average length on signup (unless you have never had an LD before), and point calculating will be done accordingly. You may also state the length of each LD as short, medium, long, or longest upon submission for points, as timing LDs isn’t always easy but “feeling” the length may be. Be careful; average LD lengths cannot be changed while the challenge runs.
For those who have never had a lucid dream before, anything less than 1 minute will count as short, 1 to 5 minutes will count as medium, and anything longer will be considered long. You will not be eligible for “longest LD” points until after your first long LD.
A dream is considered a single one until you either get out of bed or record your dreams somehow (this includes notes made between dreams). DEILDs/chaining will be considered one dream unless you record notes in between.
If you have your first lucid dream while the LC is running you will get 75 points!
If you become lucid through a technique with which you have never succeeded before, you will receive 50 points. If you’re about to try a new technique, or are simply new to lucid dreaming and want to find out which technique suits you best, this is your chance. However, these extra points are not awarded for your first ever lucid dream. Please be clear about this when you report your dream.
As you can see, this scoring system is very subjective. This is because different people have different average lengths for lucid dreams. What one person may consider short may be someone else’s medium, and so on. This is so people can work on improving their own personal bests. It encourages the more advanced LDers to work hard, too. To help you get a definite idea of what your usual duration is, you must post your average (or medium) LD time when you sign up.
Chaining and regaining lucidity: If you lose lucidity or awaken, then use DEILD or regain lucidity without starting a new dream, you are awarded 10 points, applicable only once per dream. This has been scaled down from LCs 37 and 38 due to smaller point values for tasks. Note that the new LD is counted as a continuation of the previous one; so, for example, you can have a medium LD, then chain and raise the LD score to that of a long one.
These are the points you are awarded for attempting, and completing, the various tasks. You do not have to be lucid to complete a task, but you will earn the most points while lucid. Each task will have different ways of rewarding points, and they will be explained as each task is posted.
You will earn points for completing the tasks as they are set, but you might earn more points if you do it in your personal style or as part of achieving one of your own goals. Between 0 and 10 Creativity points will be awarded for each LD that attempts a task. These are subjective on the part of the TM, but awarded in small amounts so as not to sway the course of the competition.
Tasks will specify if and how they are repeatable. Note that you may have to approach the task in a different way per attempt in order to earn additional points.
For each task, the following bonuses can be awarded:* 30 lucid points (for any task accomplished while lucid; this is separate from LD points and obtainable exactly once per task)
- 20 early points (for completing the last task active when you go to sleep; obtainable exactly once per task)
20 combo points (for doing a task other than the latest one for which you have not yet earned early points or combo points alongside another task)
Unlike in LCs 37 and 38, “task” means exactly that. The early and combo point scoring is similar to that of LC 36 and prior.
The monthly Quest counts as a task, and awards 75 points for completion. If you complete the monthly quest after signing up but before we begin, you may repeat the conditions for Quest completion in an LD once the LC begins to get these points.
When you sign up, you may also give your personal task(s). That is, a task that is one of your goals for LDing that you feel merits points for being significant to you. Completion of a personal task awards 50 points, after which you may submit a second personal goal that will earn 25 points for completion. Personal Goals can only be changed after the completion of the goal, so choose carefully! Also know that lucid/combo/early bonuses aren’t awarded for completing your personal tasks.
Deadlines and Calculation
Challenges will last 7 days each. I may announce extensions at any time based on extenuating circumstances. If I haven’t posted the new challenge after 7 days, consider the task extended until 1 night after the next task is posted.
If you have any questions about deadlines, please PM me.
When posting dream info to gain points, please include the following information in your posts:* The number of LDs you had and the length of each one (please specify short, medium, or long; otherwise, I will make my own judgment based off of the length of the dream and your average LD time.)
- Any tasks completed and relevant task information (e.g., what tasks were completed and if you were lucid)
- Anything else that is relevant for points, such as completion of personal goal, completion of current quest, chaining, and anything else.
- Post your whole dream or a link to your dream journal; however, it is not mandatory as long as you supplied the above information.
Be aware that while you can certainly claim “I did tasks” and not elaborate, you forfeit creativity points as well as the chance for me to read the dream and see other possible points.
I believe that it is the responsibility of the Task Master to read the DJ entries of the contestants, but it is equally the responsibility of the contestants to supply DJ entries. I will not go and look through everyone’s DJ for dreams eligible, but I will read all dream entries posted in this thread or linked in this thread.
You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but the TM is the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene. If you don’t like how I award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules!
I’ll allow signups until the end of Task 1.
Please note the change in the sign-ups list. Starting with Task 2, the challenge will involve the desires of the participants. Besides your personal goal, you should supply an action you’d like to take in a dream, a setting you’d like to visit, and a form you’d like to take that can all wait until Task 2. They needn’t all happen in one dream, so don’t feel as if they must be logically connected. Try to make them things that you don’t do skillfully or routinely in LDs already (else you don’t gain anything!). Do not overlap these things (e.g., an action cannot be “shapeshift”, as it leads to a desired form, just as an action shouldn’t be “go to a certain place” or “time travel”). It would be helpful — but is not required — for you to provide an explanation of these choices in a short paragraph after your sign-up as well, as it will enlighten the other LC participants and may come in handy later. I will provide my own information as a sample sign-up.
LC 39 Signups List [Name (Average LD Time)]
- Thorn (5 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Meet a DC representing my subconscious
- Desired Action: Learn to manipulate a force of nature (fire, electricity, etc.)
- Desired Setting: The place I found at the end of this dream
- Desired Form: Dragon
I’ve always wanted something akin to a dream guide, but I believe it’s really an aspect of myself, hence my wording for my personal goal. For my action, Koharo is an LD4all member with amazing dreams, and he’s personally good at such things, so I want to emulate him and perhaps learn from a DC of him. For my setting, I was struck with awe when I first saw it, and I believe it’d serve as a great place to build a lucid “world”. For my form, it’s like an LD4all rite of passage to be a dragon of some sort, as all LD4all IRC members know. It’s also the very first shapeshift I ever did, and I want to revisit it.
Actual sign-ups, minus paragraphs:
LC 39 Signups List [Name (Average LD Time)]
- Mew151 (10 seconds)
- Personal Goal: Shoot fireworks from my hands
- Desired Action: AERIAL BATTLE
- Desired Setting: Sky, above floating circular grassy island above more sky.
- Desired Form: Mew (see avatar)
- Scipio Xaos (3 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Find a Name for My Guitar DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: Eat some food DONE!
- Desired Action: Use my Kinetic Accelerators
- Desired Setting: Castle Story Floating Islands
- Desired Form: Machamp
- squoak (10 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Firebend
- Desired Action: Fly some more
- Desired Setting: Skyloft (Legend of Zelda)
- Desired Form: Absol
- ian1 (5 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Fly
- Desired Action: Bring an inanimate object to life
- Desired Setting: This place
- Desired Form: Dragon
- Yev (1 minute)
- Personal Goal: Receive useful advice from a DC
- Desired Action: Fly
- Desired Setting: A city along the coast
- Desired Form: Wolf
- Masonc1 (5 Minutes)
- Personal Goal: Dream Time Distension
- Desired Action: Turning people into pretty monster things
- Desired Setting: Great Sea, like in Wind Waker or One Piece /get the idea
- Desired Form: Wyvern
- Lumessence (no length provided)
- Personal Goal: Return to the year 5017 DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: Find and ask the blue-jacketed, earphones girl her name.
- Desired Action: Sprout flora in an otherwise plantless area.
- Desired Setting: A city, or other settlement in the sky.
- Desired Form: Phoenix
- Siiw (3 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Discover or create a song
- Desired Action: Make something grow or heal
- Desired Setting: Fantasy world (book, game, Ceeia etc)
- Desired Form: Extended senses
- James_UK2008 (5 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Try and stabilise dream a bit more to extend time within LD. DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: (undeclared)
- Desired Action: Change a DC into another creature.
- Desired Setting: A tropical island/jungle.
- Desired Form: Lizard-Man (Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap)
- IkranMakto (15 seconds)
- Personal Goal: Fly on an Ikran
- Desired Action: Meeting with someone from IRC or DG/SC
- Desired Setting: Park nearby argon’s house from one of my HI’s
- Desired Form: Ikran
- HeadInTheClouds (1-2 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Become aware of my dream body DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: Get superpowers and/or become a superhero/villain DONE!
- Desired Action: Clone myself
- Desired Setting: A cliff overlooking some water
- Desired Form: Flip my gender
- paual (2 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Meet Davesprite
- Desired Action: Consume dreamfood
- Desired Setting: A field with flowers and some trees, with a lake in the middle
- Desired Form: A human/bird hybrid
- Ecila6 (1 minute)
- Personal Goal: Flying to the moon
- Desired Action: Explode!!
- Desired Setting: Dream Island above the moon
- Desired Form: 6Alice (The exact opposite of me!)
- demented (1 minute)
- Personal Goal: Spend time in Ancient Greece.
- Desired Action: Find ommie.
- Desired Setting: Beyond the boundaries of dreamworld.
- Desired Form: Plant!
- LDbc12 (1-2 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Waterbend DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: (undeclared)
- Desired Action: Meet Peter Pan
- Desired Setting: A Rainbow!!
- Desired Form: Fox
- Koharo (5 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Test the limits of an ability DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: (undeclared)
- Desired Action: Hanging out/dates with dream girls
- Desired Setting: Costal/Tropical region (Bar, fight tourney, beach, patio, event, or gym)
- Desired Form: My anime form
- StarryGwee (3.5 minutes)
- Personal Goal: Explore Valinor, the blessed realm
- Desired Action: Sprout into a giant tree, the Telperion
- Desired Setting: Middle Earth
- Desired Form: A fallen leaf traveling by the wind of Manwë
- Catt (no LDs yet)
- Personal Goal: To hug the one i love
- Desired Action: To fly with wings in the sky
- Desired Setting: Grassy ditch filled with fireflies
- Desired Form: a cat of course
- Rhewin (no length provided)
- Personal Goal: Finally defeat Xander in the Lucid Duel
- Desired Action: Use the sonic screwdriver
- Desired Setting: The TARDIS
- Desired Form: Rheccoon
- Faith42 (no length provided)
- Personal Goal: successfully use a dream clock again (for dream-time extension)
- Desired Action: listen to some music (preferably nothing I’ve ever heard before?)
- Desired Setting: Aura (;
- Desired Form: a superhero namely someone like Zatanna or Hawkgirl maybe. Ooh a gender-bent Nightwing or Deadpool would be cool :3 who knows-- just a superhero (or villain maybe)
- Muccy (10 seconds)
- Personal Goal: Juggle 5 youtube.com/watch?v=v4riZDG6whg
- Desired Action: Fus Ro Dah
- Desired Setting: A beach.
- Desired Form: A God.
- BrandonBoss (10 minutes)
- Personal Goal: win a fight, not just get in more hits like normal, either KO, death, or give up. DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: Fight zombies and don’t get bit. DONE!
- Desired Action: fight the witch that beat me last time
- Desired Setting: the mall with the theater
- Desired Form: Wolf
- Loah (10 minutes)
- Desired Goal: Find and ask my sister what her real name is.
- Desired Action: turn the sky into an ocean.
- Desired Setting: on a spaceship or a space station.
- Desired Form: a child, (5-9 years old)
- SlyRaccoon (5-10 seconds)
- Personal Goal: Create a world I can constantly return to, yet have a new adventure with each visit.
- Desired Action: Freefall from the sky
- Desired Setting: Islands in the Sky
- Desired Form: Raccoon
- mr_Block (30-60 seconds)
- Personal Goal: Summon a DC DONE!
- Personal Goal 2: (not declared yet)
- Desired Action: Riding a car
- Desired Setting: Snowy city
- Desired Form: Iron man