Lucidity Challenge 49
The Lucidity Challenge (LC) is a fun and competitive series of tasks that challenge your dream control abilities. It serves as a motivator to keep up good lucid dream practices. Whether you you have LDs every night or are trying for your first one, the LC is a great way to get more out of your dreams. If you just want to have fun, or if you’d like to explore deeper into your dream world, this is the place for you!
Links to Previous Challenges[spoiler]
LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 - TM: ebilshrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
LC 42 - TM: Thorn - winner: Wyvern
LC 43 - TM: Rhewin - winner: drd
LC 44 - TM: Thorn - winner: drd
LC 45 - TM: obfusc8 - winner: Thorn
LC 46 - TM: Thorn - winner: obfusc8
LC47 - TM: Mew151 - winner: Rhewin
LC48 - TM: Rhewin - winner: probably obfusc8
important changes in red
The LC will consist of four lucid dreaming tasks that are each posted seven days after the previous one. Each task will be broken into many subtasks that are each worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the subtasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates, and other means. After four weeks, the LC will end and the participant with the most points wins! He or she can host the next LC if he or she chooses; if not, hosting rights go to second place, and so on and so forth until a host is found.
For the most part, you’ll see the points awarded for your actions right on the score pages. For those of you who want the fine details, open up this length-controlling spoiler.
SPOILER - Click to view
The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making dream length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; this is lengthy for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!
- Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.
- You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
- You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
- [b]Regaining lucidity. If you lose lucidity and regain it in the same dream, you get a one-time bonus of[/b] 5pts. To be clear, these points are for regaining lucidity, not for waking up and chaining back into a dream.
- Chaining/ DEILD. New ruling, since it became pointless to practice these techniques. If you wake up but then chain or DEILD to extend a lucid dream, count them both as a single lucid dream of the appropriate length. You get a one-time bonus of 5pts for extending your dream using these techniques. Chaining multiple times (however impressive it is), will only reward you with 5pts. If you do not fall straight back to sleep or if you get up to write notes in between dreams then the chain is over.
Actions Within Dreams
- You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
- You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
- You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid.
- You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask within a week of it being introduced or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another task, respectively.
- You get 40 “Team-Up” points applicable once per task, for completing a subtask with the help of, on, or with any other LC participant by summoning them in your dream.
- You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
- You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for an example) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.
You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel that I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct the scoring. We’re all here to have fun, so if I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. While it sounds childish to say it, it’s been a longtime LC rule: if you don’t like how the hosts award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules!
When you sign up please choose one of the following teams. You will remain on this team for the full duration of the LC, so pick carefully.
Calling all the adventurers, the scouts, the masters of the wild and unforgiving dreamscape. Versatile and fearless, rangers complete tasks by any means necessary. Expect physical challenges, exploration and action. If you’re not into transformations and magic but are looking for some excitement, adventure dreams or just investigating your dream world this is the team for you.
The guardians of all things natural. They create, change, nurture and of course, transform their bodies into whatever the situation calls for. Expect tasks that require transforming yourself and manipulating existing dream objects or people into what you need. Yup, the transformation team is back.
Magi make stuff happen by willpower and their mental mastery. Do you like throwing spells around and bending the dreamscape to your will? Sounds like you’re a wizard! But don’t get hung up thinking about your classic fireball throwing RPG wizards though, also remember that ‘Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.’(Arthur C Clarke) If you’re smart enough to make electricity-bolt firing arc guns or suitable tech to complete a task, that works for me too. You are SPACE wizards after all!
The LC will start after we have at least 10 participants. As the TM lives on that small crazy island called the United Kingdom, expect tasks to be posted around Friday lunchtime for the GMT timezone. If that happens to be in the middle of the night for you, don’t panic. You can always read the tasks during your WBTB, just don’t spend too long staring at a screen - it can mess with your ability to fall back to sleep!
When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username, team and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you are invited (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming.
- Thorn—NIGHT DRUID—Visibly and tangibly increase in musculature
- Oleg — Sky Ranger — Establish consistency and recurring elements… (And if not that, how about I just go to space, or something?)
- Mew151 —SPACE MAGE—Play DDR Dream Mix
- James_UK2008—NIGHT DRUID— Transform self into Predator
- Letaali—SKY RANGER—Visit the frozen planet
- Koal44—SPACE MAGE—Open a dimension door and go through it
- Jer - Sky Ranger - Fly out into outer space.
- Scipio Xaos - SPACE MAGE - Say hello to Cardia again. It’s been a while.
- footballfreak - Space Mage - Talk to an animal or plant about their life experience
- CornBrick(Coast) - Space Mage - Conjure a suit of armor and a sword
- AWE - Space Mage - effect the physical body through a lucid dream.
- drd - Space Mage - Fire a mouth laser
- Susan_Y - sky ranger - see a tree or the sky
- sea-dove - sky ranger - talk to my tulpa Jesse in a dream
A few more notes: I will read any dream journal entries you want me to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, I will have a lot to read, so I will only read your DJ posts if you link them here. Also, if you do link a DJ post, please also summarize what you did for the LC in words.
Good luck to everyone.