Hullo everybody. Obfusc8 is reporting for LC hosting duty! With a decent amount of luck, some determined dreaming and copious amounts of reality checking, I somehow ended up in second place in the last LC. So I get to take a little break from all the task incubation and come up with some crazy things for you all to do instead. Due to another creative project that runs in November that I wish to take part in, this challenge will run for only four weeks instead of the normal five. Without further ado: Welcome to Lucidity Challenge 45.
The purpose of the LC in its current form is to serve as a motivator for good lucid dream practices, to create an atmosphere of both competition and cooperation, to create a challenge for lucid dreamers of all levels, and to provide fun to all participants. I hope that everybody gets to experience all of these while participating!
Previous Challenges (spoiler tag to control length)
SPOILER - Click to view
LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 - TM: ebilshrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
LC 42 - TM: Thorn - winner: Wyvern
LC 43 - TM: Rhewin - winner: drd
LC 44 - TM: Thorn - winner: drd
The LC will consist of four lucid dreaming tasks that are each posted seven days after the previous one. Each task will be broken into many subtasks that are each worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the subtasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates, and other means. At the end of the 28 days, the participant with the most points wins! He or she can host the next LC if he or she chooses; if not, hosting rights go to second place, and so on and so forth until a host is found.
Scoring (spoiler tag to control length)
[spoiler]The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; I’m being verbose for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.
- You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
- You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
[/:m]Actions Within Dreams (see the Teams section for details on team-based points)* You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
- You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
- You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid. Completing a second subtask for a task for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
- You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per week, for completing a subtask while it is part of the most recent week’s tasks or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another week, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per week
- You get 40 points for completing a Team Dream individually and another 40 points for doing it with a member of its designing team, each applicable once per task. Extra points beyond 40 may be offered in some situations. This is changed from previous LCs, where team-designed tasks could only be completed with a member of the designing team and thus were rarely done.
- You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. Note that it does not always update monthly despite the name, but I have no control over this; please don’t direct complaints to me! If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
- You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
- You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on my part and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. I reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if I feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
[/*:m][/list:u]Note that the points given in past LCs for lucidity loss/regaining and for DEILDing into a prior LD have been removed. In the past, these served as a point of confusion and also created point differences between people with unstable dreams who could re-enter them and people who could stabilize from within the dream itself. Removing the points removes the confusion and awards re-entering/stabilizing an LD only as it should be rewarded: the dream length is longer, making it worth more points and giving more time to complete tasks. Note that dreams connected via DEILD are counted as one dream.
When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.
You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct my scoring. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. While it sounds childish to say it, it’s been a longtime LC rule: if you don’t like how the TM award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! [/spoiler]
The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, was revised again for LCs 40 and 41, and reached its current form in LC 42. The teams give you a chance to personalize your LC experience.
Here are the teams:
-Are your dreams like a non stop Action film? Are you always in the thick of it? Do you like overcoming physical challenges, experiencing physical changes and pushing your dream-self to the limit? Are you all out of bubblegum? Then look no further: the Action team is for you.
-Maybe you like to solve Puzzles. Do you fix or invent new things in your dreams? Do you prefer to use your brain rather than fight your way out of situations? This team uses gadgets, inventions and intelligence to solve their problems. If this sounds like you, then the Puzzle team is where you belong.
-Are you an explorer, an Adventurer delving deep into the unknown dream world? Do you like chatting to your DCs? Do you want to get to know them better? How about getting your DCs to help you or helping them solve their problems in return? The Adventure team likes meeting new people, exploring exotic places and improving their dream world.
You can choose your team based on your skills, based on what you want to improve, based on what you’ve never tried, or whatever metric you desire; you get to decide your LC experience! Remember that you will get full credit for your team’s subtasks and for generic subtasks but will only get half credit for subtasks belonging to other teams, and remember that you can’t change your team later, although I may make exceptions to this if participants start disappearing and teams become weighed down by inactive members.
Once the need arises, teams will each get their own collaborative workspace to design Team Dreams, which are worth points just as a team’s subtasks would be. Team Dreams require participants to come up with a way to fit a given condition in a dream that the team as a whole agrees to. Each team will get 48 hours after relevant tasks are posted to design a dream in its workspace. Unlike previous LCs, Team Dreams will only need to be designed twice. Team Dreams will also now create two 40-point subtasks each: one for completing the condition solo and one for completing it alongside a DC of a member of the designing team. This allows participants to attempt Team Dreams even if he or she has poor DC summoning skills.
The LC will start after we have at least 10 participants.
When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username your desired team, and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you should (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming and your dream desires; if you want Team Dreams to fit your desires and motivations, then you need to be clear about what those are!
Here are our current sign-ups:
LC 45 Signups (Name - Team - Personal Goal)
- Letaali - Action - Reach the Frozen Planet
- James_UK2008 - Action - Shapeshift into a Ninja Turtle
- Scipio Xaos - Puzzle - SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
- Thorn - Action - Become my avatar
- Mew151 - Adventurer - Play DDR Dream Mix
- Rhewin - Adventurerererer - regenerate
- squoak - Adventurer - Meet a dream character I met previously.
- drd - Action - Pick up a building with my hands
- Loah - Action - turn everything into crystal!
- Hodge_Podge - Adventurer - Talk to Einstein
- stari_maga - Adventurer - fly with wings
One last note: I will read anything you want me to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, I will have a lot to read. I will only read your DJ posts if you link them here. Also, if you do link a DJ post, please also summarize what you did for the LC in words. Not giving a summary or giving task numbers or part numbers that require me to check things only serves to slow down scoring, which is not what anybody wants.
Best of luck everyone!