Red text denotes changes to the rules from previous LCs.
LC 1 — TM and initiator: eMander (formerly ian1) — winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC 2 — TM: Magnus — winner: Q
LC 3 — TM: Q — winner: Bravsein
LC 4 — TM: Bravsein — winner: WritersCube
LC 5 — TM: WritersCube — winner: dimsya
LC 6 — TM: dimsya — winner: Queen SD
LC 7 — TM: Ysim — winner: Mugiwara
LC 8 — TM: Mugiwara — winner: Ysim
LC 9 — TM: Ysim — winner: Tundra
LC 10 — TM: Tundra — winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 — TM: ebilshrimp — winner: Tundra
LC 12 — TM: HebrewB — winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 — TM: Blue&White — winner: relV
LC 14 — TM: relV — winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 — TM: GHOSTIE11 — winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 — TM: Danielns13 — winner: rkr7
LC 17 — TM: Angelmouse — winner: pasQuale
LC 18 — TM: Magnus — winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 — TM: Amaryllis — winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 — TM: Dryalantha — winners: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 — TM: Shadow Dreamer — winner: probably Wyvern
LC 22 — TM: Danilens13 — winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 — TM: tosxyChor — winner: Wyvern
LC 24 — TM: Wyvern — winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 — TM: Rhewin — winner: Solaris
LC 26 — TM: Solaris — winner: Rhewin
LC 27 — TM: tosxyChor — winner: Rhewin
LC 28 — TM: Rhewin — winner: Siiw
LC 29 — TM: Siiw — winner: Rhewin
LC 30 — TM: Puce — winner: Wega
LC 31 — TM: Mimmo0 — winner: Limitles
LC 32 — TM: Limitles — winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 — TM: Nicklebrick — winner: elnaureth
LC 34 — TM: elnaureth — winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 — TM: Ysim — winner: Koharo
LC 36 — TM: Rhewin — winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 — TM: HeadInTheClouds — winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 — TM: Scipio Xaos — winner: Thorn
LC 39 — TM: Thorn — winner: Koharo
LC 40 — TM: HeadInTheClouds — winner: Wyvern
LC 41 — TM: Wyvern — winner: Thorn
LC 42 — TM: Thorn — winner: Wyvern
LC 43 — TM: Rhewin — winner: drd
LC 44 — TM: Thorn — winner: drd
LC 45 — TM: obfusc8 — winner: Thorn
LC 46 — TM: Thorn — winner: obfusc8
LC 47 — TM: Mew151 — winner: Rhewin
LC 48 — TM: Rhewin — winner: probably obfusc8
LC 49 — TM: obfusc8 — winner: drd
As is pretty typical at this point, I didn’t win the last LC, but I’m the highest-placing competitor from it that cares to host, so allow me to welcome you to Lucidity Challenge 50! Everybody loves “special” numbers, and 50 is certainly one of those! Get hyped!
The purpose of the LC in its current form is to serve as a motivator for good lucid dream practices, to create an atmosphere of both competition and cooperation, to create a challenge for lucid dreamers of all levels, and to provide fun to all participants. I hope that everybody gets to experience all of these while participating!
The LC will consist of seven weeks of lucid dreaming tasks, although the last “week” will have an extra day to make 50 days even. Yes, we’re going back to the “classic” seven-week structure for now; after all, 50 is a “special” number! The tasks will generally increase in difficulty with each new week. Each task is worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the tasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates, and other means. At the end of the 50 days, the participant with the most points wins! He or she can host the next LC if he or she chooses; if not, hosting rights go to second place, and so on and so forth until a host is found.
Recent LCs have woven the tasks together with a silly story of the LC host guiding the participants through a fantastic dreamscape. I couldn’t resist the cheesiness and did so as well. It’s loaded with LD4all in-jokes and self-deprecation. Feel free to ignore it for the most part.
Scoring (placed in a spoiler for length) (minor changes from previous LCs)
[spoiler]The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; I’m being verbose for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.
- You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you lose and regain lucidity without fully waking up, either within the dream or via DEILD, consider the combined length of all lucid parts of the dream as the scored length. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
- You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
[/:m]Actions Within Dreams* You get the listed amount of points for completing a task in most cases. Exceptions to this will be covered as they arise. You also get points for completing additional conditions or variations on tasks as listed and get 5 points for completing a task as the character you design in your sign-up post.
- You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per week, for completing a task while lucid. Completing a second task for a week for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
- You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per week, for completing a task while it is part of the most recent week or for completing a task alongside a task from another week, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per week.
- You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. Note that it does not always update monthly despite the name, but I have no control over this; please don’t direct complaints to me! If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
- You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
- You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on my part and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. I reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if I feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
[/*:m][/list:u]Note that the points given in past LCs for lucidity loss/regaining and for DEILDing into a prior LD have been removed. In the past, these served as a point of confusion and also created point differences between people with unstable dreams who could re-enter them and people who could stabilize from within the dream itself. Removing the points removes the confusion and awards re-entering/stabilizing an LD only as it should be rewarded: the dream length is longer, making it worth more points and giving more time to complete tasks. Note that dreams connected via DEILD are counted as one dream.
When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.
There is an expectation that you post your point claims in a timely manner. The scores will be updated frequently, and having accurate scores provides proper motivation to all competitors. As evidence, I submit that LC 49’s winner openly told me that he was motivated to beat me two days before that LC’s end precisely because I posted that I earned a large amount of points that week. I do not regret my post. The LC is not a game of psychological warfare in which you make your opponents believe inaccurate scores to play with their motivation, and so I reserve the right to apply a penalty to those who unnecessarily delay taking five minutes to post points—exceptions to being penalized exist for extenuating real-life circumstances, of course. Having to evaluate humongous point claims makes my job harder as well, and an unhappy TM is not a nice TM.
You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct my scoring. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. It sounds childish to say this, but it’s been a longtime LC rule: if you don’t like how the TM awards points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! [/spoiler]
Teams (changed from previous LCs)
The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, and was continually revised until teams were introduced in LC 42. Unlike in previous LCs, not all weeks will have teams. When an upcoming week will have teams that require your input, a notice will be posted at least two days in advance. You will have until the week’s tasks are posted to choose a team. Note that some weeks may have predetermined teams based on other facets of the LC. Teams will be discussed in more detail when they become relevant.
Legs [color=red](new to LC 50)
A seven-week LC can be a drag if you’re stuck far behind. To mitigate this, the LC will have three two-week legs (with the final week not included in a leg). The winners of each leg will be the members who earn the most task points and bonuses within it (e.g., Week 1 task points will not help you win the leg of Weeks 3 and 4). The number of leg winners will be based upon the number of active participants and will be announced a few days before the leg’s completion. Leg winners will get a small LC-based reward and will be taken out of the running to win future legs.[/color]
The LC traditionally needs 10 participants before it starts. We will start no sooner than Friday, June 19, unless we get 15 participants, in which case we will start as soon as possible.
When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username, your personal goal worth 100 points when completed lucidly, and your character design (see the information after the story prelude in the next post).
Here are our current sign-ups:
Sign-Up List [Name — Personal Goal]
- Scipio Xaos — A Flight with Cardia
- Zaibatsu — Full LD on will
- Letaali — Revisit a dream that had a cool planet
- En’enra — Use water magic properly
- James_UK2008 — Visit another planet
- Coasty — Meet a specific Dream Person
- Mew151 — Play DDR Dream Mix
- Susan_Y — See the sky
- obfusc8 — I AM GROOT! (Treant transformation + growing branches and stuff.)
- drd — Summon and ride Smokey
- Koharo — Pull off 3 reality/death defying stunts
- Siiw — Successfully summon a big creature
- Eilatan — Looking for a good man.
- Lumessence — Open a portal to D-912 (that place you all call “real life”)
- Jer — Fly into Outer Space
- Yanshuf — Summon a wood golem which heighs minimum ten meters
Scores can be viewed here.
One Final Thing…
I will read any dreams you want me to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, I will have much to read. I will only read your DJ posts if you link them here and they are intelligible—the forum is not a text message. Also, if you do link a DJ post, please also summarize what you did for the LC in words. Not giving a summary or giving tasks numbers that require me to check what numbers correspond to what tasks only serves to slow down scoring, which is not what anybody wants.
As I say every time I host the LC,
[center]May the best dreamer win!